What's new

Bass management (Klipsch Reference) (1 Viewer)

StevenB

Agent
Hello,

I recently purchased the Klipsch Reference series speakers (RF7 mains, RC7 center, and 3 RS7 surrounds) for my 6.1 HT. I have a Boston Acoustic PV600 sub which I am upgrading to the PV800 in a few weeks. I am not sure how to set my bass management with these new speakers. Which should I set to small and which to large? My receiver (Pioneer VSX-810S) allows crossover at 100-150-200. Not your ideal 80, but upgrading my receiver is another issue for another day. I need some advice on how I should tweak my bass managment. Thank you very much for any tips you can offer.

Steve

Jimmy P

Stunt Coordinator
I read the spec's for your speakers,I would try mains set for large,center and surrounds set for small,receiver crossover set at 100,and calibrate,then see how it sounds with some of the "reference" movie and music material mentioned around this site.I would also try setting the main speakers as small,since they were rated down to 32Hz and that was probably @-3Db,then compare and decide which setup give the most pleasing sound.Experiment and find what works best for your'e listening enviroment.

KonradN

Stunt Coordinator
If you want to have a perfectly calibrated system for ht then set all speakers to small and then calibrate your sub to match your system.

If you want maximum bass output, which could sound better to your ears then a perfectly calibrated system, then set ur front mains to large and set your receiver to copy the bass from the mains to the sub as well. If your receiver doesnt have this option then leave the mains in small mode.

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
Damn.......lousy xover points for these speakers....

run fronts and center full range , and surrounds to 100hz...

If you have preamp outs for your mains and can set sub to "no" then y out your main pre-outs to the input that utelizes the sub's own internal x-over and try to blend it in that way ,maybe @ 50+/- hz...just another idea...

Harold_C

Stunt Coordinator
As a two-way system, the biggest challenge the RF7's will face is trying to get the 10-inch woofers to play midrange cleanly. To the extent that you can remove the bottom couple of octaves of bass and redirect it to the subwoofer, the woofers will have less excursion and lower IM distortion in the midrange.

80 Hz would be a perfect crossover for these front speakers. The 100 Hz crossover in the Pioneer will be perfectly fine. I really doubt that you could hear the difference between an 80 Hz and 100 Hz crossover if the system is calibrated properly.

You really want to avoid running the fronts as LARGE and everything else as SMALL. When you do this, the surround speakers have more bass impact than the front speakers, which is not really ideal.

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
StevenB,

Have you considered an SVS sub(s) as MANY Klipsch owners love that combo? I run all Legends in my HT and set them to "small" and let my dual Tempest sub handle the low stuff. Blends well and sounds incredible, gotta love those horns!!

Try the Klipsch forum for more advice, but generally all set to small with a VERY capable sub will provide the best results. HTH...Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks