What's new

Bass management help needed!! (1 Viewer)

Samuel_Fred

Stunt Coordinator
hi

I've got a Denon AVR-2807 that I don't know how to set-up in terms of the speakers. I'm outputting to

Front L&R: B&W 601 (lows to 70Hz)
Center: Infinity C25 (lows to 80Hz)
Surround: Speakercraft AIM (lows to 78Hz)

When I listen to CDs and SACDs from my Denon 1930 I get crisp nice stereo sound (or surround, if surround music)--all coming in through analog external-in.

When I watch DVDs I get nice full sound with nice bass (DD through optical).

But when I put on an LP on my Rega P1 my subwoofer kicks in, and I don't particularly like that.

Shouldn't my B&Ws be adequate to handle the range of an LP and a CD?

Now: I've got the B&Ws flagged as "small" in the Denon. As soon as I switch them to "large" the subwoofer turns, except that it also turns off (at least for front L&R) for DVDs, which I don't like.

But the B&Ws aren't "large," are they? They can only handle as low as 70Hz, and I've set the crossover on my sub (oh, it's also an Infinity: PS28) and in the Denon at 80Hz.

So why is the SW kicking in when I put an LP on? Do I have to switch the speaker set-up to "large" every time I put a record on? Or are the frequencies coming from the SW there on the LP but my B&Ws can't handle them? (It sounds too bass-y with the sub on.)

Anyway, I'm lost. What am I supposed to do?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Hi Samuel,

In your receiver, if you have your speakers set to "Small" and subwoofer set to "On" then you will get the subwoofer no matter what source you select. If it's too much bass for you when the turntable is used, you can always use the receiver's tone controls to dial down the bass instead of changing the speakers to large and turning off the sub. If that's not acceptable, you might look into adding a adding remote controller to your sub.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Jeff O.

Stunt Coordinator
I am not sure about the 2807, but the 3808 that I have allows you to have different bass management parameters for stereo. You can specify large or small and crossover frequency separate from that for the other sound fields. I am at work and I don't remember how I set it up, but you might want to look in your manual.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks