Bass management and the 3802

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EarleD, Jan 8, 2002.

1. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

I just bought a Sony C333ES SACD player, which by the way is a hell of a CD player, and was expermenting with the bass management on the 3802 receiver.

I had all speakers set to small, xover set to 80hz, and all channels balanced to 75db except sub which was set to 78db.

I then set the fronts to large, everthing else is the same, except now I set the subwoofer option to LFE, not LFE+main.

I thought this stop all sub activity during music playback in the stereo/direct mode.(if you only us the speakers set to large, there should be no sub)

Well in the stereo/direct modes the sub is working away. Now Im confused. If I set the sub options to lfe+main this is what should be happening, not just the LFE only setting.

I used VE to balance all the channels, so I just balanced to LFE channel with the sub tones, correct?

any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Earle

2. Jim_Stu

Jim_Stu Stunt Coordinator

Earl,

1)Is it possible the sub is getting the LF because the

other (center, surround,etc) are set to 'small'?

What happens if all speakers are set 'large' and sub

set to LFE only?

2) Does the sub input come from your receiver's .1(subw)

'low level output' or is it connected via speaker wire?

JRS

3. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

I also own a 3802, and found the same behavior (and found it strange.)

If you want stereo playback without the subwoofer, it can be accomplished by using DIRECT mode and then going to the subwoofer volume adjustment and turning it all the way down; once you turn it down to -12 dB, one more step will turn it to OFF. This setting seems to be remembered for the DIRECT mode after that, so you don't have to re-set it each time.

I still say it is weird that, with mains set to LARGE, the bass management is handled differently in this mode than it is with Dolby Digital.

4. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

5. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

Thanks for the advice guys.

Chuck,

Thanks for the link. I had no idea about the analog bass management in the direct mode. I switched the rca's fron the 7.1 inputs to the cd inputs. Went to analog and bingo. The mains are running full range and the sub can be switched off. The best part is go back to DD/DTS or stereo and your right back to your digital bass management with all the preset calibrations. ie sub and speaker levels/small setting.

Thanks again for the link.

That link should be archived. I have the feeling that many 3802 users dont know about this feature

Earle

6. Chuck Kent

Glad to help! Enjoy your Denon. It's a great piece!

7. Nick G

Nick G Stunt Coordinator

Chuck, good info on Denon bass management. I have a 1802 on the way, did you ever find out if the 18xx series handles the bass management the same way as the 3xxx series Denons?

Nick

8. Chuck Kent

Nick: No, nothing yet. I have a call into Denon regarding Dialog Normalization. I'll try to ask about the 1602 and 1802's bass management too.[​IMG]

9. Nick G

Nick G Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Chuck, appriciate it.