Bass List pictures

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Anthony_Gomez, Jun 21, 2003.

1. I know this might belong in the paralleled Local Theater Meets thread, but no one here would see them [​IMG]

Thought something here in the set of pics might inspire someone to build something new!

Here is one set of pictures that Steven St.Laurent took at the event. A bit blurry, but you get the idea [​IMG]

Steve houlihan has another set of pics, but they are not on a final site setup yet. I'll post when it is finalized.

Pics

2. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

Am I imagining things or did somebody make a speaker out of a lamp shade? Looks like a full range in a megaphone. Do you know anything about it?

3. here is all I know about the design

"front loaded Fostex FE-206E horns. These are the horns from the Lima, Ohio show designed by Larry Moore and Dave Aukerman"

http://f18.parsimony.net/forum31999/messages/45188.htm

Those "lampshades" were apparently custom ABS creations.

4. bruin

bruin Second Unit

Can someone post their thoughts on the Alesis' monitors and Tony's Ushers? Or did I miss a thread on this topic?

5. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

The Alesis monitors seemed to have a very full sound from such a small box. Didn't seem boomy, but for some reason I thought it had some bloat to the bass. Maybe because the speakers were pushed to clipping since the red light kept turning on that indicated amp clipping.

They are near field monitors in a huge room so I had to keep that in mind.

I felt as if the bass wasn't super detailed and had a high Q "chesty" feel to it. The soundstage was so so, I didn't get much depth to them. They were forward sounding, but didn't have that metallic harshness that I'm used to in studio monitors. They were revealing, I feel that Tony's Ushers had a smoother frequency response and were more enjoyable to listen to.

I auditioned Tony's Ushers at his house, and didn't get a chance to do it at the bass list. They sort of reminded me of the Kit281s with a few improvements.

6. bruin

bruin Second Unit

Thanks Tony for the link and Chris for your info. Good reading in that thread.