bass limiter w/ my new SVS?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ben Jordan, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Ben Jordan

Ben Jordan Stunt Coordinator

Ben
    Well I got my new 22-31PCi today, and WOW, it feels great!! I've only played samples of this and that so far, but everything has been wonderful. Thank you so much, SVS!

My Onkyo 787 has a bass limiter that I can turn on, and adjust while it outputs a strong bass signal, so I can keep adjusting it until its at a limit where it begins to distort too much.

Well, I initially began using the SVS with the limiter on, and set at its old "-15" setting which seems to work very well. But I decided to try the "bass limiter adjuster" where it puts out that really strong bass, beginning with -27, it was VERY strong, and I was afraid to take it up any higher, much less to the -15 it was at.

Should I leave the limiter on? Turn it off? Help!

2. Manny_S

Manny_S Stunt Coordinator

Personally I'd turn it off. I have a 25-31PCi and I find no need to limit the bass going to it. It can handle quite alot! [​IMG]

3. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Ben,

What Manny said.

Turn off the sub, then turn that limiter either OFF or the highest setting you can put it to.

Turn the sub back on and then calibrate with a sound meter and test disk (as described in your manual). Let a good basic calibration guide you and you "don't need no stinking badges (I mean limiters ;^).

Seriously, that's nothing but a way of compressing your LFE and with the capacity in that sub that's the last thing you need mucking up the bass.

Ron

4. Ben Jordan

Ben
    Thanks guys. I'm trying to find an Avia disc locally - everyone seems to be out! For now, I'm using my radio shack meter and the test tones from the receiver.
    Which disc is better, the Avia or the Video Essentials (or is there another good one)?
    [Limiter off, and I'm out!] [​IMG]

5. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Ben,

For me AVIA is the best calibration disc, but Video Essentials is pretty good also but a little harder to understand and navigate.

A good option could be Sound Vision calibrtion disc, it is very cheap, and was design by the same people that created the AVIA disc, and you could get it $20-$30. Not as complete as the AVIA, but works great, I have both the AVIA and sound vision.

Hope this helps,
    Pablo Abularach

6. MarkMac

MarkMac Stunt Coordinator

Pablo-
    Have you tried the Sound&Vision DVD vs the AVIA when calibrating your levels? I'm interested in whether they measure the same? I know built-in test tones on many receivers are not accurate, and I wasn't sure about the Sound&Vision disk. I'm looking for a less expensive (but just as accurate) alternative to AVIA.

7. Ben Jordan

Ben
    Pablo,

Thanks - even before I read your post, I ended up getting the Sound & Vision Tune Up from Circuit City for $15.99 last night. It worked great, and had some really nice video test patterns that I tweaked my screen with. The blue filter was nice also, since I didn't have one of those either. Although it said it had 6.1 tests - the only 6.1 thing I could find was the DTS demo under the Extras...

Speaking of the Extras: My fiance was SOOOO HAPPY about it having the DD Egypt intro on it. She loves this intro and said she would be playing it every day for her daily "fix." LOL! All those intros are very nice to have, and I plan to demo my system beginning with these!

I'm still going to try to find an Avia disc somewhere. I'd like to know exactly what extras it has compared to the S&V one. Does it have any more intros/demos than what the S&V disc has?