What's new

bass issue (1 Viewer)

ELSock

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
ok i have a pioneer vsx-81txv receiver and a set of Boston Acoustic 8000 5.1 speakers (sub included) and there is a certain frequency it seems that my receiver keeps trying to put through the speakers and not the woofer. (atleat thats what it sounds like to me) but in certain games and movies.. an explosion or bass type noise will happen and it will sound like either my fronts or my center are trying to explode.... is there a some setting i should change in the receiver or am i just ineed of more powerful speakers?

example:Gears of War for the Xbox 360, during the annex mode, the sound that is made when you first step into the capture-area, the sound of actually capturing it and the countdown noise, all sound like they're trying to blow up my speakers..

thx for your help...
~ELSock~

ps. the volume being lower doesn't stop this issue from occuring...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You probably need to raise the crossover frequency between the speakers and sub. This may or may not be possible depending on how your sub works. If it is connected to the receiver by way of the LFE/Sub connection with an RCA cable, not speaker wires, then find the crossover frequency for the sub in the speaker configuration on the receiver and raise it a couple notches. You might come back here and let us know what it is set for. That should clear it up.

If the sub connects with speaker wires, then passes the signal on to the front/center, there is probably nothing you can do. It is just a poorly designed system. There are other possible configurations, but these two are the most likely.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
You might consider playing the games in "night mode" by using the feature on the receiver. It will drop the dynamic output by a bit, but will probably save your system from overloading.

ELSock

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
i actually determined the issue about a month ago and forgot to post it so here it is...
as it would turn out the auto mcacc on my receiver was calibrating the distance on my speakers all way wrong due to some funky angles in my theater (old house, odd wall lay out).. so once i defaulted the entire system and set it manually it works great. now i'm just workin on some better speakers to use this new found glory.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks