What's new

"Bass Hole" question (1 Viewer)

Joe

Stunt Coordinator
I read HK's (525) document on how to avoid creating a frequecy gap between your sub and speakers. Here is a quote from it:

"For example, if the setting for the front speakers is 80Hz, but the setting for the center or surround
speakers is 120Hz, you must set the subwoofer to 120Hz, even if the front speakers have a better
frequency range. A lower frequency setting for the subwoofer would create a bass “hole” because
some frequencies would go to neither the subwoofer nor the main channel speaker, and thus be lost."

Question: Using the settings above, will bass doubling occur on the main speakers between 80 & 120Hz? Of course it seems like this should not happen since it would make having variable cross over settings per speaker group pointless but you never know.

Any HK 525 users about know this?

Dodie

Agent
I think what happens is this, when the surrounds and the center should output a frequency lower than the 120hz the receiver will automatically redirect that frequency to the subwoofer(since the center and surrounds can only handle no lower than 120hz). The frequency below 120hz that should be outputed to the center or surrounds will not be redirected to the fronts only at the sub(s). That's to my understanding.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you set two different x-over points, there will be a gap in the frequency range, centered at roughly the half way point between the two x-over settings. Given two different x-over points, this will always be true.

I don't understand what you mean by bass doubling? With two different x-overs, you CANNOT have an overlap. With the same x-over, you will have an overlap, but the slopes should match each other, thus the issue is minimal.

What they are saying to you is to use the same setting for both. Receivers that allow independent adjustment of x-over are not very common.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks