Bass Freak???

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by John S, Aug 17, 2005.

1. John S

John S Producer

OK, I just had a sales guy at a high end audio store that seemed mad that I ended up buying a Velodyne DLS5000R -vs- the Velodyne DD stuff they carry insult the %#[email protected]#% of me....

I don't even know where to begin with some of the things he said to me...

But, I don't think it is crazy or even that unique for that matter to run dual 15" subs in a 20'x30' room.....

I am half tempted to call his boss, but he seemed so out of line I found it comedic, I almost enjoyed it even. Well I enjoyed the fact I didn't actually buy a sub from him more than anything else. [​IMG]

I have always run my sub pretty darn hot. Maybe I am officially one of those bass freaks now??

I hate to name the store, I have actually had a good relationship with them over the past 10+ years.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Maybe you need to pay Frank a visit and give the B4s a listen [​IMG]

3. John S

John S Producer

I am going to follow through here with taking my new Velodyne down to SVS in Colorado Springs for a little shoot out. I think pretty high of them being my newest fav lower cost solution. Isn't early fall offcial sub testing season? [​IMG]

Should be fun, I have something else I need to go down there for anyways.

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I'd walk out.

I'm happy with my dual 15" IB sub. Start cutting holes in your walls to prove that you're really serious about bass.

One higher quality sub is almost always better than two very good subs in a room. You induce nulls all over the place.

5. John S

John S Producer

This is true, but when you already own one serious 15" sub, adding another one is certainly more cost effective....

He telling me even one 15" sub was to much for the room, he was pushing a 12" DD series on me hard when I went there to price subs before deciding on the DLS5000R. I love the sub by the way, I couldn't colocate them either, I had to use them as end tables at the ends of my sofa.

I increased my sub-age because I am getting close to implementing true bi-amping for all 7 channels of my 7.1 system. In early tests, man is the volume knob hot on the AVR now, having 250 watt to each low end driver, and the 110 watt amps of the AVR going to the highs and mids. The sub just couldn't gain stage properly with it anymore. Go figure with 2500 watts of main system power corsing through the room.

I hope to have that full bi-amp implemented by the end of this month.

I have just a ton of testing data, many will find interesting to post up when I actually have it all implemented.

I learned a lot, thanks to the many folks on here, that chimmed in on my posts when I first decided to try it. I sure wish I could get some EQ going on each channel. Would require a different pre/pro / AVR though and I am running out of money for the project.

6. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

Running twin subs seems to work for me - they're running mono via a splitter off the LFE, and it may just be me, but Phil seems to come more from the Phil side now, and Jerry stays over on the Jerry side.

7. John S

John S Producer

I've done a few dual sub installs now, I don't have the fears about nulls that I used to have.

These living room installs like I have right now, are just all over the place anyways in critical analasys with test equipment. I'd suspect it would be more of a factor in a true sound treated theater where you can actually get flat at the listening area from Sub 20hz to 20khz. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it on the dual sub, at that point I should be able to colocate them at least to help.

8. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

John,

I'm ready for you man. Of course if you don't drop me a line soon I might be in the middle of 4 e-mails and a couple phone calls (if it's a light day) and forget to watch the front door ;^()

I've got a pretty good selection of subs in my demo room, we'll have a go with whatever you got. I'm partial to Master and Commander lately as demo material, The Incredibles gets plenty of action too. Snag whatever DVD's or CD's you fancy.

I promise to not even insult you (about 20 years ago I go into it with a Denon dealer over CD versus LP and just about swore the brand off for life... damn if I don't have a soft spot in my heart for their receivers today though).

Ron Stimpson
    SVS

10. John S

John S Producer

I look forward to meeting you. Do you have spl meters there? The capability to tone sweep? Pink noise and such too?

Aside from live content demos, I'd really like to be able to see roll off and general output numbers.

I can bring stuff if need be. What I really want to see is SVS's lower cost dual 12" subs kick the lowly 15" Velo's butt. Extension and output are my main interests, I don't have any easy way to guage total distortion.

I want to thank you for the offer to demo some SVS stuff head to head against the Velo offering.

PS: You will even get a free copy of the CD I released in the early 90's. I am getting rid of them every chance I can get as I need the closet space.

11. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

John,

Sounds like a plan. Please do drop me a line though so I can try to remember to take the headset off ;^).

Ron

[email protected]