bass dilema please help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoeyS, Oct 2, 2002.

1. JoeyS

JoeyS Auditioning

everybody says set all speakers to small and let the sub take care of the bass, and set the sub to max the frequency of 160 and let the receiver act as the crossover. now here is the dilema, the higher frequencies of the bass are NOT non-directional and i can easily locate the sub when theese frequecies are played. the only solution i see is set my fronts to LARGE and lower the crossover on the sub.

PLEASE HELP:

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

What's the internal crossover setting for the receiver? Is it adjustable?

If you like the sound of your system better at large, then run it at large.

3. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

turn the xover point of sub down until you think it is non directional. if you have a higher receiver xover point than what your sub is set to, set the mains as large

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

the problem with this is that you will likely create even bigger holes in your playback by running speakers small and running the xover on the sub down too low.

Then setting the mains to large to combat this problem will render the sub unused in 90% of applications (it will only reproduce dedicated LFE on discrete digital soundtracks).

-V

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Joey: So... why not put your sub up front with the rest of the speakers?

And Bass IS directional. You can tell where it is coming from. But it's a lot harder to pin-point the location like you can with the higher frequency sounds from the mid-range and tweeter drivers. Dont get hung up on the idea that it should be totally non-directional.

It also helps to corner-load the sub so that you get a lot of wall reflections which will help to hide/diffuse the location of the sub.

The front corner is where most people put their external subs. Give it a try.

6. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    In my experience clean bass is not directional. As mentioned above, directional queues are derived from higher frequency sound. These higher frequencies can come from your mains or from subwoofer and room distortion. Thin sheetrock walls can easily vibrate and localize the bass. Lower quality subwoofers or overdriving the sub can cause cone breakup (and distortion in the higher frequencies).

If you are like most of us and don't have a perfect subwoofer in a perfect room, consider working on sub placement (instead of changing the crossover). I moved my sub up the side wall a few feet and that solved most of my wall vibration issues. Good luck...

7. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

Greg, you might need to specify what your opinion of BASS is. to some, bass might mean anything below 500Hz. to others it might mean below 50Hz. heck some members might consider BASS below 25Hz which most of us [with manufactured subs] dont even get to hear.

True, as BASS gets lower, it starts to react more with the resonant frequencies of items around the house, therefore making things around you shake alot. I do think that if Joey is setting his xover on his sub @ 160Hz, then it definately will be easily located.

8. GregLee

GregLee Stunt Coordinator

When I set fronts only to large, it seems to me I get discontinuity in the sound field in directions between the large and small speakers. So I've taken to setting all my speakers to large (since they're all full range). That might be worth a try for you.