Bass Crossover on a Sony SCD-CE 775 ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Heebner, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Matt Heebner

Matt Heebner Stunt Coordinator

I tried searching for this, but wasn't getting any luck. Anyways, anyone know what the crossover is set for in this player with speakers set at small with a subwoofer, and with speakers set to large with a subwoofer.
    I am running Paradigm Titans all around with a Velo CT-150 sub. I am comparing these two settings to see which sounds best, but would like to know where the Sony has the crossover set.

Thanks
    Matt

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

I'm pretty sure it's 120Hz.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Matt, I think Jack is right. From everything I have read, the Sony SACD players have a fixed crossover at 120 Hz. That's way too high, but high fixed crossovers are nothing new, especially on receivers. [​IMG]

4. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Yeah, it's high, but it's worked ok for me on SACD since my sub is basically in the same plane as my front speakers and not too far to one side. My dipole sub is linear well past that point, also, so break-up models are not an issue.

5. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

IMO, utilizing the bass management feature results in a reduction of resolution. I'm not sure how this is technically handled by the player (DSD>PCM conversion?), but my ears tell me it corrupts the sound quality and so I've never used it on my C555ES. The 120Hz crossover is certainly inapt for all but the lamest home-theater-in-a-box systems, but that's the least of the problems with the onboard bass management IMO.

I bought an Outlaw ICBM-1.

6. Matt Heebner

Matt Heebner Stunt Coordinator

So even with the speakers set to LARGE + SUB the crossover is 120? Or are you just talking about the speakers set to small that it's at 120?

I tried some listening tests with it set both ways and with them set to 5 LARGE + SUB there is way more bass info going to the Titans, with only the very low going to the sub. At moderate levels this might be fine as the Titans have a low end of 50 hz (supposedly) but I could see this taxing them at higher levels. I also think that it sounded better, more open. Hard to describe it, almost like it has "bigger" sound than when I had it set as 5 SMALL + SUB, but it was definitely better sounding to my ears.

Man I can't wait till I get new speakers...Studio 40's.

Matt

7. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

8. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

9. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

10. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Aaron, I keep bringing this up - yes, over and over - in the hopes that someone will contradict or confirm what I'm saying!

I hope you don't simply take my word for it. I trust my ears, but only so far. I'm really fishing for some confirmation or contradiction on this point, and am endlessly amazed that I can't seem to drum any up! I am, after all, calling into question the very efficacy of the bass management offered on these players, and suggesting that, unless you have itty-bitty crappy speakers, you'll wanna side-step the bass management circuitry as though it were just so much plague-infested dung.

(Yes, there's the ol' hyperbole again!) :b

I've resolved my bass management issues with the aid of an ICBM-1, the time alignment issues through careful equidistant placement of speakers, but am unable to perfectly dial in the levels without using the (IMO) resolution-lowering circuitry of my player. Two out of three ain't bad, and when I compared a level-calibrated "5 large + sub" setting against the "Multichannel Direct", I detected little difference between the channel-levels despite having to increase the center and rear levels by a db or 2 for perfect level-matching in the "5 Large + Sub" setting. So, I feel I'm close, real close, to perfectly dialing it in... but I ain't quite there, can't get there, and had to purchase a $200 accessory and rearrange my speakers* to get as far as I have.

*Rearranging my speakers to the ITU Standard rather than the Dolby Labs standard also improved the reproduction of DVD soundtracks, though I hasten to add that I use monopole rear channel speakers. Unless you're using dipole surrounds, I would not recommend the dolby labs setup.

11. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I also use an ICBM with my 775 and it does work very well.

I leave the 775 on Multi Direct and let the ICBM do the bass management.

I also use the ICBM with my DVDA player (Panny RP91).