Bass control for Paradigm Servo 15

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnnyW, Mar 28, 2002.

1. JohnnyW

JohnnyW Extra

Hello everyone,

I have a Pioneer VSX49TX reciever and a Paradigm Servo/15 sub on order.

Do I need the extra Paradigm bass control unit? Its about

$150.00 .

This is my first system with a sub so any help would be appreciated. I plan on using the sub just for movies, and I hope

I can use just the 2 Studio 100's for music.

Thank You

jwalk

2. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Unless you want a continuously variable LF crossover, the answer is "no".

3. Ken Hoyme

Ken Hoyme Extra

The Servo-15 is supposed to come with your choice of Paradigm cross-overs.
    Check out
    http://www.paradigm.ca/Website/SiteR...ervoSpecs.html
    That said, one dealer I talked to said he could knock off $100 from the price if I chose not to take the cross-over. But if they charged you list, you should be getting one without paying more!
    The cross-over also allows for continuously variable phase adjustment (I don't get mine for another week, so I can speak with clarity -- mine will come with the X-30) Specs for these are at
    http://www.paradigm.ca/Website/SiteP...Unit_Specs.htm
    Ken

4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

I think the Pioneer has a built in 80hz XO for any speakers set to small. If you set the speakers to LARGE...to get *full range* 2 channel playback(for music)...then the subwoofer may only get the LFE channel to reproduce. In this case...you really don't want an additional crossover inline with the sub signal anyway.

If the dealer offers you a X-30 to play with...I would try it out for a weekend. You might find music sounds better using the subwoofer too.

TV

5. brucek

brucek Second Unit

jwalk,

I would highly recommend the X-30 control unit.

It provides you with phase control which you won't have if you use the sub alone.

It provides you with a crossover that could be necessary in the future if have a processor used in analog bypass that sends full range signals to the sub. The crossover can easily be dialed to max to get it out of the way if you're not needing that feature.

It provides you with volume control conveniently situated with your equipment rather than having to reach around the rear of your sub to adjust.

The X-30 is a line amp that provides some much needed gain control and low output impedance that may be necessary if you had a processor with a challenged output driver section.

brucek

6. FrankB

FrankB Agent

I run my Servo-15 directly off the subwoofer output on my Onkyo reciever. It works fine. The reciever does all the bass management (80Hz crossover, large in front, the rest small). The distance setting in the reciever can be used instead of the phase adjustment on the X-30, and between the reciever and the sub itself I already have two volume controls. I got a better price by buying the servo unit without the crossover and I've never missed it.

7. JohnnyW

JohnnyW Extra

Thank You; everyone, for the replys.

I really enjoy the fine post at Home-Theater-Forum.

JohnnyW