What's new

bass causing my rptv to rattle (1 Viewer)

Marcel_V

Stunt Coordinator
Certain bass causes my panasonic 47" HD to get a pretty annoying rattle on the sloped back of it. Lightly pressing the plastic paneling makes it stop, but I'm at a loss how to permanently stop it. I'm at the point where I am going to try to take it apart and stuff a thin washcloth or something in between the paneling, and whatever is rattling underneath it...the mirror?

Anyone have experiance preventing their RPTV's from rattling around?

Robert*S

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Marcel_V -
Not trying to be a smart@ss, but have you tried moving your sub away from the rptv?
Don't you think that if your rptv mirror was rattling the picture be distorted on the set as well?
I would guess it is just the plastic housing on back of the set.
It might be worth the effort to try dampen the plastic...Let us know how it goes.

rob.

David Parrish

Stunt Coordinator
Here's a possible cheap fix. Use duct-tape to attach some kind of heavy object to the back of your tv. That'll change it's resonant frequency downward, hopefully so low that it's not audible anymore.

Heavy object means something that weighs 8 to 32 ounces and won't rattle against the tv. Maybe a piece of brick wrapped in cloth, two rolls of pennies, baseball, videotape, a small dish, etc... just find something your not going to need and won't be visible from the front

James Buhler

Stunt Coordinator
I have the same problem with my Toshiba 65hx83. With my 20-39PCi coming on Tuesday I am hoping the problem doesn't get worse. I will try David's idea and if that doesn't work I think I will have to build a clamp from a length of threaded rod and add some slight pressure to the sides of the TV. (I have isolated the rattling to the sides of the cabinet only.)

My concern here is with the manufacturers. Perhaps these new molded plastic enclosures are more cost efficient than the mdf that they used to use but I am dissapointed that their design team didn't even consider the fact that the TV is going to be placed in an environment where high spl is a factor and that the plasic baffles are extremely resonant and will cause this problem??

One thing to note as well is that I didn't even realize that this was happening when sitting in my regular viewing position. It wasn't until I was actually standing right beside/behind the TV repositioning a speaker that I heard the cabinet "thunder". How many readers out there haven't even noticed this on their systems?

Marcel_V

Stunt Coordinator
There isn't really a viable other place for my subwoofer, so moving either the TV or sub isnt an option. I get around the problem by pulling my tv out a few feet when I watch a movie to get it away from the sub, but I'd like a more permanent option. Since I am also getting a SVS soon, I think I am going to have to operate this week to solve this.

I havent had problems with PQ or losing convergence, since its only during a few seconds of bass-heavy scenes I get the problem.

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
Where do you have the sub? Behind the TV? Also, do you have hardwood floors?

Marcel_V

Stunt Coordinator
Sub is about 4-5 feet to the right of the TV, both pushed against a wall. Sub is corner loaded. Carpeted floors.

When I get my SVS, I may just have to put it next to my couch, to keep it away from TV. That is suboptimal though, because sitting right next to an SVS may be just too much bass to handle.

13 feet wide
|--------------------------|
|FL----------TV-----sub+FR|
|--------------------------| 16 feet long
|SL---------couch-------SR|

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks