Bass and tone settings on receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad Craig, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Brad Craig

Brad Craig Stunt Coordinator

1) Okay if im using a sound meter to get all my speakers on even decibals, will tone and base settings and treble settings effect the pink noise levels???

2) What does tone do really??? I mean i have the option of pushing a button in on my receiver and the tone light comes on... Should I have this turned on or off when adjusting w/ sound meter???

3) I also have a bass boost which I know increases the bass in my front speakers according to my receiver manual... So my question is should this be turned on or off when adjusting using sound meter??? Also does this boost the bass in my center channel???

4) Will the treble setting affect the pink noise levels as well... What does treble do exactly???

5) I'm confused also on adjusting the Sub decibal level and the LOW Frequency effect level... Wouldn't both of these affect the decibals coming from the sub to the sound meter??? If so, which one should I concentrate on adjusting to read my sound meter correctly???

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

3. Brad Craig

I added another question Vince, could you please answer it... Appreciate your input... [​IMG]

4. Brad Craig

Heres my next dillemna Vince, I have a volume control on my subwoofer which will affect my decibal levels on my sound meter as well...

So should I boost the subwoofer level to max out of the receiver and turn the volume meter to max on the subwoofer before reading the sound level??? Or should I turn them both halfway or what???

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

-Vince

6. Brad Craig

Okay I am using the test tones put out through the receiver for the pink noise...

The pink noise that comes out of the sub sounds different than the noise coming out of the front and rear speakers, so my questions are...

1 ) Should the pink noise going to the sub be on the same decibal levels as the rest of the speakers???

2 ) If the answer is yes to the first question, then I'm experiencing problems getting the decibal level down on the subwoofer, even though I got the Sub level in the receiver settings as low as it can go... Now I can decrease the decibals by using the volume control on the subwoofer, but I was told by turning it all the way up I would get a cleaner signal >>> so with all of that said >>> What should I do???

3 ) By adjusting the base level on my receiver will that in any way change the decibal level of the pink noise???

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Yes, yes, yes, yes-- they will effect the level of the tones. Crank up the bass knob while testing bass signal- you'll see the meter read higher. Crank up the treble tone while testing the main speakers, you'll see the meter read higher.
    Bass and treble knobs are ESSENTIALLY a volume knob that only effects a certain freq range. Since pink noise basically is a tone containing all freq ranges-- by boosting the tone knob you will be effectively increasing the percieved level of the tone. The meter will reflect that.
    If you plan to use the tone knobs- then have them set as you want them when you're doing your calibration- this will result in the most accurate setup.
    -Vince

8. Keith Outhouse

Keith Outhouse Stunt Coordinator

"Yes... although some people prefer to run the sub 35-db louder than the other speakers"
    --------------------------------------------------------
    I assume Vince meant 3-5 db louder.
    [​IMG] 35 could be a little rough![​IMG]

9. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Whoops.

Good catch Keith!

I did mean 3-5db louder. Not 35.

Damn hyphen.

-Vince