"Basics" area to be filled with people who cant answer each others' questions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charles J P, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I noticed that the some of the forums have been split (hardware) and I like the idea of putting the regional dvd forum inside the software forum. I am wondering about the new Home Theater Basics Area though. If it is used as its intended, it seems like it will defeat its own purpose. I personally will not hang out there unless I feel like boosting my post count answering questions like "what is digital coax and is it better than using the analog outputs?" I think a lot of other members will feel this way too. Are some of these new changes in a "test" phase right now?

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I don't like the new basic boards as part of the Home Theater Hardware board. With all those sub-categories, do we really need the main board? If the answer is yes, then the answer could probably be no if a couple more sub-categories were added. Frankly, I like one main board that covers everything. Just click to one board, and you can talk about anything you want regarding hardware. That's the way it should be. Sorry, but my feeling about the sub-categories is [​IMG] [​IMG] .
    No disrespect is intended here. I'm just expressing my disagreement is all.

3. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Charles:

Setting up the Home Theater Basics area is to allow those members that are new to Home Theater ask basic questions. No you don't have to frequent the area but there are members that are willing to answer those questions that they may have. All of us were new to HT at one point in time and we all had similar questions. This just gives new members a chance to ask questions and have them answered without having to wade through all the other areas.

Keith:

Spliting the areas up is something that has been requested of this site for some time. Members go elsewhere for their information because they find scrolling through all the posts a real pain. If they are only interested in finding out about a new DVD player they don't want to have to scroll through endless posts on the lastest speakers. This just makes it easier for most people to navigate the site. This is new to all of us so let's give it a chance. A couple of hours doesn't do that.

Parker

4. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Regarding Keiths questions, and to take it a bit further.... Will the main hardware forum remain open, or will every thread eventually be required to be in one of the new categories? What happens if someone has a question about how to connect a DVD player to a receiver? Does that go under receivers, DVD players, or (since its pretty basic) does it co under the basics area? Not trying to rock the boat here, just curious how this will eventually work.

Thanks for all the hard work.

5. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

Following in what was done in Software -- moving in the Regional area -- shouldn't the "Building a HT" link be inside the DIY/Advanced area?
    Just an idea [​IMG]

6. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Oooh, that is a good idea. See, I like the concept of having sub forums, I was just wondering about the feasibility with all the cross-device questions.

7. Parker Clack

Parker
    Charles:

There are going to be cross postings as there are now. Hopefully as members get used to the new areas they will post in there. As I have said lets give them some time to work out and see where it takes us.

Ric:

Good idea. I will consider it.

Parker

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Sorry, Parker. I still don't like it. Too many clicks to see what's new. That is, there are too many boards to scroll through now. What's more, the main hardware looks like a wasteland with all the threads being relocated. One thing is for sure. The new system will make a lot more work for the moderators.

9. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I'm still not convinced I'm going to like this much either. Personally I rarely visit the DBS, PVR or TV forums because I just don't want to bother loading other pages. I just don't want to go out of my what to keep up on things I'm only a bit interested in. There's just not always enough activity in these smaller forums to get me to go look there, and as a result I miss interesting discussions sometimes. By keeping an eye on one Hardware forum I keep up with anything related to my speakers, dvd players, receivers, etc. all at once, as well as upcoming products I may find interesting, and the always humorous WAF stories and wire debates. Now I'm going to have to check a half a dozen forums just to see if anything interesting is going on.

BTW, should the PVR and DBS forums also be listed under Hardware now? Perhaps TV, Movies and Music can be put under a common area too, I just can't think of a good name, but they seem to go together.

10. Steve Owen

Steve Owen Second Unit

One of the great things about this board (as opposed to many others) is that newbies have always been welcome and the members have always (well usually) gone out of their way to be polite and to help them out. If I was a newbie, the presense of a "home theater basics" section would say to me "Hey... stay out of the other stuff until you're up to speed with the rest of us.". I'm sure that wasn't the intent, but that's what I think it says.

Furthermore, it requires that members actively go check that section of the board to see if there's anyone with questions there that they might be able to help with. I'd much rather see those questions in the general hardware section mixed in with everything else... at least that way the membership stands a chance of seeing the question and participating in the discussion. It's very often that a "newbie" question turns into a very interesting discussion.

As others have said... the splintering and new sections just mean too many clicks and surfing around to keep up with the discussions. If you look back at the last splintering, new sections were created for DBS and PVR. As a result, any discussion on those topics more or less died out. Double edged sword... few post in those sections becuase few people read them. Few people read them because few people post. I'm quite sure if those topics had be left as valid topics in the hardware section, there'd be a lot more discussion of DBS and PVR mixed in. In the past 20 days there's only been 4 new posts in the PVR section. I fear the same thing will happen with the basics (and new hardware and tv sections).

-Steve

11. Parker Clack

Parker
    Keith:

The Home Theater Basics area was set up as a result of new members requesting such an area.

Parker

12. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i like the idea of a basics area.

if i was starting out, i'd feel less "intimidated" if i could post somewhere with the understanding that i'm a newbie.

i also think (hopefully) that anyone replying to that forum would be even more patient and willing (than normal) when replying to someone's question(s).

also, we could refer them to another forum as necesary. for example, if his question is on receivers, we could say something like "don't forget to check out the receiver forum."

finally, the basics forum gives the newbie the chance to move out when they feel comfortable.

it definitely doesn't hurt to have it there.

13. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

I like the Basics area because it gives someone like me an opportunity to give back to HTF. I've been here for about a year and have learned a lot, but I don't feel my knowledge is up to snuff to participate in many of the hardware discussions. When I'm feeling helpful, I'll definitely go the Basics area and try to take care of those babes lost in the woods.[​IMG]