1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Basics area -> hardware area question?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Garcia, Apr 25, 2002.

1. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Since the hardware forum gets so much more traffic than the basics area, I think a lot of basic question still end up being asked in the speakers/receivers/sources areas, when quite a few of the answers are already available in the basics area (is that a run on?) would it be possible to have a sticky or some other way of annotating that basic questions should first be referred to the basics area?

I know that it already states this in the forum descriptions area, but I'm not sure everyone reads or heeds that information. Perhaps the description of the basics area should say "New members - START HERE for basic/hardware questions"? Or would this cause some other issue that I am not seeing?

2. Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia Supporting Actor

I'm just responding because of the similarity of our last names. [​IMG]

3. John Garcia

John
    [​IMG]

4. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

John, I was sorta thinking about this, and here are my observations...

*You can lead a Newbie to water but you can't make him CLICK.

After New Years and til Easter, I saw lots of newbie posts on Basics every day, which were keeping Vince Maskeeper busy as the gatekeeper/responder. Vince even wrote the Basics: "Read This First" thread which primarily touts Search Function.

Then the Basics posts seemed to fall off and I attributed this to the new "Primer." And I dont see Vince's online presense as much (unless he's busy at school/business).

I think newbie posts come in waves, starting with the "Help!" kind. Then posters get more confident with the lingo and go directly to the other, specific boards, and I say more power to 'em.

I dont think all posters are in HTF for the long haul. This is because the other night I got sidetracked into the Members section that goes back to 1998 (apparently Parker has never cleaned it out). So MANY of them are just a few posts -- they drink at our well briefly then go away. So we can try to force them into a posting regime, but it doesn't seem "practical."

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

John,
    I pretty much concur with Bill.
    If you see some post which you think is basic enough that it would be better handled by the basics area, feel free to politely suggest that to the poster. Let them know that they're likely to get more responses in the basics area, and that should usually be enough incentive to have them high-tail it over there.
    Or, even better- just drop me an email when you see something that would be better in basics. I like keeping the basics area busy (my recent drop off in participation has been the result of few threads I was interested in responding to)-- so I'm more than happy to relocate posts to the basics area, if it is warranted.
    -V

6. John Garcia

John
    I don't want to offend new members for certain, by saying "newbies go here". (Who wants to be labeled a newbie?) At the same time, I get tired of seeing the same basic question sometimes get asked twice in one day, while the first post is right there! I think people simply do not really consider doing searches, nor do they delve into scanning through the board, they just want to ask, and get direct responses, which does make some sense. The main forums are the way to go, it's just the questions that have already been answered, potentially many times, that are my peeve.

I think HTF is a great forum specifically for that reason, that people are not aloof here, there are plenty of down to earth people with plenty of useful knowledge, lord knows I've learned plenty here.

I have no problem pointing others to the basics forum now and again, and I am not really trying to complain about the fact that newbie questions end up in other forums. I have started scanning through the basics area also, because I noticed that there is not very much traffic there, which could also cause some of those questions to end up in the other forums. Better to ask where the question is more likely to be seen by someone who knows.

Thanks.