What's new

Basic w/Travolta, Samual L. Jackson (1 Viewer)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I was surprised to see that there was no discussion about this one. We recently rented it, and it is a killer flick.....so much so that it will soon join my permanent collection.

PQ and SQ were first rate, and the ending will have you scratching your head. My wife, who prides herself in busting my stones for having to watch certain flicks more than once to really figure whats going on, sat there with her jaw agape once the credits started rolling.

To say more would spoil the fun, but you do NOT want to miss the ending.

A great test for you sub (the normal chopper fly over, gun battle, and explosion stuff, but done very, very well) and lots of great jungle ambiance as well.

And not to be a movie critic, but I thought both Travolta and Jackson were superb.

Highly recommended.

BGL

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I thought it was OK, nothing I haven't seen before....
I picked it up used a while back...

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
This movie was greeted by lots of yawns, but I also really enjoyed it. I thought the ending left things open for at least one sequel and I'd definitely be up for it.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
We viewed this as a group about 3 months ago and while the PQ and SQ are good, the movie is just awful. I wouldn't recommend that travesty to my worst enemy.

The dvd was pretty solid though.

Lev-S

Second Unit
Love this one...

The fact that there is a woman Ranger who, when she gets knocked off, is the basis for a putrid line from Sam Jackson: "So beautiful, so dead."

Hadn't laughed as hard as when I saw the mess of a "film" entitled Dreamcatcher (melodramatic, illogical, cliched, retarded).

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I liked it also. A friend recommended it, and I was able to pick it up used, cheap. A nice film. Yes, I am undoubtedly influenced by my love of Jackson and Travolta when they are on, and I was surprised at the end of this one. It's worth a rental, if nothing else. Think Rashemon.

Keith E

Stunt Coordinator
Have to say I saw it in the theater and enoyed it very much and it was added to my collection immediately upon release. A great popcorn flick.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Great acting (duh! look who's in it) and a less than stellar script.

These guys gotta get in with someone who can write (again)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I bought a used copy and had mixed feelings about the purchase even at a discounted price.

Plot was overly convoluted and desperate.

Recall watching the extras and was interested to hear that the writer had a very different idea in mind.

Think 'Hollywood' screwed the pooch on this one...but having said that, I did keep the disc.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I think "pop corn flick" is perhaps the best description of this one. For the most part, its equal parts mindless mayhem, coupled with an interesting story line that does not really reveal itself until the end.

Certainly no Oscar nominations, but I can't wrap my brain around the view that it was awful.

Then again, when I rented it, a friend came over to watch, and he absolutely hated it. I loved it. Oh well, NBFD. Thats why we have chocolate AND vanilla ice cream, blondes AND bruntees, thongs AND bikinis......

And really, the plot didn't seem convoluted at all....everything was very straigh forward. Until the ending, that is.

But putting that all aside, this one is reference quality as far as sound goes. If your system is not up to par, it may fall flat, but if your gear images well and has capable low ferquency extension, its a reall workout.

I read the WSR review AFTER I rented it, and they gave it 4.5 for sound. I would have given in a 5. The jungle combat scenes, during a hurricane, no less, were fabulous.

BGL

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I've watched and liked alot of "bad movies' But this one I just couldn't swallow. Again Vanilla/Chocolate. That's why forums are great.

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
I, too, thought it was a pretty good movie overall. The only thing I thought that hurt it was it suffered from plot-twist overload, and if they had stopped one twist away from the last, it would've been a very ominous and cool way to end the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks