What's new

Basic used amp capable of pushing 4 ohms? (1 Viewer)

SteveSpoon

Stunt Coordinator
Looking for a basic, used, amp that can handle a 4 ohm load without overheating. I've got two Dayton (passive) 8" subwoofers, but the Technics SA-810 amp doesn't like the 4 ohm load. When pushing the receiver, it will overheat and shutdown.

What's a cheap, decent amp that will doe the trick? I'm using a Yamaha DSP-E492 to control the subs.

Thanks for any help.

Steve

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Most two-channel amplifiers have no problem handling 4-ohm loads. If you want one on the cheap, check eBay for Yamaha, Onkyo, Adcom, Parasound and the like. Amps last practically forever and are one of the safest buys for used components.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

SteveSpoon

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe it's just this particular receiver. I guess when it gets right down to it, I'd like to come up with one of the "M" series amps to match my Yamaha M-80 main amp.

M-60 is way more amp than I need. Anybody know if the M-40 or something similiar along these lines would work?

Thanks.

Steve

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Just buy a sub plate amp, there are many vendors (Adire, Partsexpress, and rythmic to name a few) that should easily fit the bill. The audiosource amp1a would do it as well but some are affected by the cooling fan and others aren't.

SteveSpoon

Stunt Coordinator
It's a little late for the plate amps, since the enclosures are very small, just barely large enough to house the 8" subwoofer.

Steve

John S

Senior HTF Member
Less than $200 pretty easily on the Amp/1A, I have driven a ton of stuff with them. Bridged they are pretty impressive for a sub application.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I did a search on shopping.com... several in stock dealers with good rating at $200 and under....

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter

You can build a separate enclosure for the plate amp and use it in that fashion (build a box with binding posts).

I should of also corrected my statement and meaning amp 1 mono-block instead of amp1a (two different amps), amp1a has no fans and can run bridged into 4 ohms (stable at 2 ohms a channel).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks