basic TV/Receiver connection question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh.L, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Josh.L

Josh.L Agent

I'm not sure if i'm asking this question right, but here goes: I want to be able to watch TV and listen to the audio through my stereo's speakers. How do I do this without having to turn on my VCR(which I am doing now) And can I keep the DVD player hooked up as it is now with the video components going directly to the TV?

As you can probably tell, I'm a little confused. I have a Sony 34XBR800 and a HK AVR 320

Sorry for the newbie question, I just don't want to screw anything up, so I thought I'd ask.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Josh.

Well... you have to have SOME device that gives you the TV audio that you can pass to the receiver. This can be:

- Your VCR (like you have now)
    - The L/R jacks from your CATV box or Sat receiver
    - The L/R audio OUTPUT from your TV (if it has this)

The easiest is if your TV has audio outputs. You want the "fixed/non-variable" output if you have a choice. (This way the TV volume does not affect the volume through your speakers.

3. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

I don't know if it helped Josh any....but I gained from your post, Bob. Thanks. [​IMG]

I'm kinda new as well to this HT game.

Can I impose for another Q?? ..... I'm getting my first TV that actually has component input capability, and I'm wondering how much of a picture-quality leap I'm going to be making when I get my new set soon.

I'm currently using the worst of the 3 variants (composite video input) going to my current TV.

So, I'll be jumping completely over the "middle man" (S-Video) as far as quality is concerned, and going to what I've heard is the BEST possible video connection: Component.

Do I have this staircase of quality correct? Composite provides the weakest picture quality; then S-Video; then component for the ultimate?

Is my leap from composite straight to component going to be dramatic? (Esp. when combined with my first TV capable of doing the 16:9 squeeze for DVDs?)

(Now I need component cables don't I? Are these cables expensive? And what brand do you guys recommend for best quality video?)

Thanks for your assistance.

[​IMG]

4. Greg-ST

Greg-ST Stunt Coordinator

David, you should see quite a nice jump in picture quality going from a composite connection to component connections. From s-video to component isn't quite as large of a jump (basically s-video is a component signal as well, but not as pure as RGB).

Sometime around May/June I'll be getting my first TV with component capabilities as well. I really can't wait [​IMG]

5. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Thanks, Greg, for the info. [​IMG]

To be perfectly honest, when I ordered my new TV, I didn't even realize it had the component capability.

But, upon researching the advantages of such a connection, I'm certainly glad to have it.

Greg ... I went with a Toshiba RPTV. What will you be getting in May? (I betcha you'll get it sooner! [​IMG])

BTW, Greg, I LOVE the Cincinnati Reds in your hometown! [​IMG]
    Used to visit Riverfront often.
    Sadly, now it's dust.
    The new park looks nice though. [​IMG]

6. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

7. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

8. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Then, too, there's also the ol' rabbit ears connection.
    Anybody still use those?

[​IMG]

9. RandyMe

RandyMe Auditioning

I could use a little help on this one myself...

I have a CATV Box - 1 Coaxial from the box to the TV (No S-Video or Component outs on the Box) & 2 L/R Audio RCA's from the CATV Box to the Receiver's CATV inputs.

Then a DVD with an S-Video going straight to the TV & 2 L/R Audio RCA's from the DVD to the Receiver's DVD inputs.

CD Player is just the 2 L/R Audio RCA's from the CD to the Receiver's CD inputs.

Does this seem OK?

PS: I'll be replacing the DVD next week with the new Philips DVD963SA with SACD. Will I need to change the way the DVD is connected to make best use of the SACD?

Thanks

10. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Randy,

Sounds like you've done the best possible with your CATV.

I wouldn't sweat your current DVD connections with the 963 coming next week. But with that unit, try to run a digital connection (optical or coaxial) to your processor for digital audio. If possible run component cabling instead of S-vid for video to your TV. And for SACD &/or DVD-audio, you'll need a slew of normal RCA analog audio type cables (maybe six).

What receiver/processor are you using?

Any your CD player doesn't offer a digital output?

11. RandyMe

RandyMe Auditioning