Basic Sound & Video Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JayDaniel, Mar 21, 2003.

1. JayDaniel

JayDaniel Stunt Coordinator

Can I upgrade a basic budget pc that has integrated sound & video, by adding a better sound card and video card with agp? Will this bypass the integrated sound/video? Any potential problems with doing this.

Obviously I don't know much about this. Just wondering. Thanks.

2. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Shouldn't be ANY problem.

Make sure you have an AGP slot(pci cards are harder to find and slower),

An Audigy OEM can be had for about $50 or you can get a card made by Hercules(Fortissmo 3) for about the same with a better package.

Putting these in should be as easy a couple of settings in the bios or maybe a jumper on the motherboard.

Brent

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

One thing to look for is the FPS in-game when there's sound. I didn't think my mobo took a hit with it's integrated sound card but I pulled up the FPS while playing Medal of Honor and noticed about a 15-20 frame decrease when there was shoosting. [​IMG]

To totally disable the integrated sound go into your device manager and either uninstall or disable the device.

4. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

First off before buying anything you will want to verify that you have open PCI expansion slots in the system for the sound and that you even have an AGP slot since a lot of integrated computers do not.

Another thing is that you should try and disable the onboard sound through the bios that way the computer will not have to share resources between the 2 sound cards or even have to determine which sound card to use since it would only have the new card. You also may have to change the default video settings in the BIOS to accept an AGP vs its probably setup to default to PCI. Since you most likely have a small video car in there the settings could be set for a 32 or 64mb maximum video which if you get a 128mb+ you will need to increase that as well in the BIOS.

KyleS

5. JayDaniel

JayDaniel Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies.