What's new

Basic RCA caboe questions (1 Viewer)

MikeJason

Agent
1. How bad are the basic rca cables that come with cd players/receivers?

2. Do gold tips on rca cables make much of a difference?

Thanks

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
well the basic elcheapo rca calbes with the red and white plugs arent really worth using as the cabling prolly isnt the highest quality and the diameter is pretty small. it would be better to just go to radio shack and pickup some cables there, they are of good quality and low in cost.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The advantage of gold is that it does not corrode like lesser metals. It should be evident that corroded connectors can’t well, connect.

All that said, I agree with Mike F. that upgraded cables, even entry-level like Radio Shack’s Gold series, are a worthwhile expense, if nothing else for the peace of mind they afford. I have a buddy who’s been using them in his system for almost 20 years, and I’ve seen only one fail during that time.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

This makes the cable stiff & hard to bend to protect the coax, and gives the cable more pull-strength. A glove-soft, rubber-coated cable seems luxurious (and expensive). But the stuff professionals use is the opposite: stiff, thick and protected.

MikeJ: The other issue with cables is - what are you using them for? This makes a difference. An audio cable is one thing, a video cable for a 25" standard-video television is another, and a video cable for a 61" HDTV or projector is a very 'sensitive' application.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks