Basic questions about projectors and screens

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Dan Kolacz, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Dan Kolacz

Dan Kolacz Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

Sorry to spamulate this forum board with my recent posts about projectors in the last couple days, but I have decided to buy a projector and screen in the next 2 weeks, and up to this point, I kew nothing about them AT ALL.

So I am thinking of getting the Infocus 4805 or the Infocus 5000.

I am also thinking of getting the Stewart Studiotek 130 (white) screen. Would this be a good match? Is there a cheaper/better solutiuons for DLP?

My room is going to be totally dark when using, however, the walls and ceiling are white.

I have read as much info as I could find around the web about screens and projectors, but from what I have seen (may be wrong) the Stewart screens were touted best for CRT based systems.

Any comments would be helpful

2. Bob Maged

Bob Maged Stunt Coordinator

White walls + white ceiling + bright PJ + matte white screen = one very washed out picture.

3. Dan Kolacz

Dan Kolacz Stunt Coordinator

>>White walls + white ceiling + bright PJ + matte white screen = one very washed out picture

Ooooh, I was hoping you wouldn't say that!

My ceiling is angled and about 8 feet higher than the screen would be if it makes a difference.

I like the idea of the white screens because of the more accurate/vibrant colors.

The 4805 has a lower power mode. Mybe this will lessen the effect???

4. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

Even in low power, the 4805 is plenty bright for most app's.
    Stewart is best in screens but you could get away with a Dalite and save some $$$. I agree about sticking to a white screen for the best pic. And the 4805 needs little to no help on the contrast side of things.
    I don't think the picture will be washed out, just bright, as long as you can control the light coming in from outside.
    If you can paint the room, I highly recommend it. I installed my equipment before painting the room and it's a DRAMATIC difference having dark walls.