What's new

Basic Question, What cables do I need? (1 Viewer)

Darren_C

Agent
I am expecting a new Panasonic CP72 DVD changer and a new Marantz SR4300 Receiver in a few days. Best I can determine, neither comes with any cables. I already own a nice assortment of RCA audio, speaker, RCA composite video and S-video cables.

Am I correct that the main new item I need is an optical digital audio cable to connect the DVD player to the receiver?

Will this one cable handle all types of digital audio sources to the receiver (Dolby Digital, DTS, MP3, DVD-A, CD, etc)?

If so, is there any need or advantage to also connect the analog coaxial outputs from the DVD to the receiver in addition to the digital optical cable?

Are there any particular styles of digital optical cable, or is it pretty standard?

What are the highly regarded budget cables, and what reputable vendors have good prices? 1 meter will do it for me.

As far as I can tell, the Panasonic does not have coaxial outputs, only optical. As I only currently have a standard monitor, I assume I won't yet need any component video cables...

Thanks for any answers or links!

Spiro A

Agent
Just a normal optical cable and a good shielded svideo cable will do just fine welcome to the forum Darren.;)

Darren_C

Agent
Thanks for the response.

With the lack of any specific input, I just went with an AR HT120 PRO S-video for $7.49 and an AR HT180 PRO digital optical for $8.99 at Accessories4less.com .

The connectors looked fairly robust in photos, which is about all I was concerned with since I'm sure I can't hear or see the difference between reasonable quality shielded/twisted cables...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks