1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Basic Question on in-ceiling placement

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by DaleAV, Nov 1, 2005.

1. DaleAV

DaleAV Agent

Moving to a new home in Jan 06. I now plan to have surround speakers (just two) mounted in the ceiling.
    I have an M&K 750THX system I am very pleased with, and no hurry to replace.
    The basic problem is stands for the surrounds is not an option, I could 'hang' my existing M&K surrounds from the ceiling, and aim as required.
    But I much prefer having in-ceiling speakers installed for the surrounds. The least inexpensive in-ceiling made by M&K are a good $800 a pair (SW-50). I'd rather spend about half that on other quality in-ceiling speakers.
    I am open to suggestions. While I believe in having quality speakers in my system, it would seem some savings could be made in surrounds with little sacrifice in performance.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Keep in mind that in-ceilings will have to be fairly close to the seating to be effective. I’d say no more than 4-5 ft. behind or to the sides of the main seating, with an 8-ft. ceiling. You could go a foot or so further out with each additional foot of ceiling height.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

The PSB M6.1R is a very good sounding alternative at about $350-450 per pair.

I can't stress this enough- stuff insulation behind and along the bay in which the speaker is being installed- it greatly improves sound quality.

4. DaleAV

DaleAV Agent

Thanks, Wayne & James. I am considering Speakercraft AIM8's for the surrounds. Nice install and highly rated. About half the cost of the MKs. I'll check out the PSBs also. Nice speaker, I have no doubt.
    Great advice on the install locations. I will be taking measurements this week. Good on the insulation [​IMG]

5. Brian_D

Brian_D Agent

Be sure to check out the new klipsch in wall dipole's. Im planning on using 4 of them for my surrounds in our new theater room. Retail is $399, but you should be able to get them closer to $250 each or so. Info here: http://www.klipsch.com/newscenter/press.aspx?cid=1094

6. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    I am also moving into a new home. My house will be pre wired, and my surrounds are also in the ceiling. Would putting the speakers in be a do it yourself kind of job? Or just spend the extra 100 and let someone else do it? I was looking at some Paradigm in wall (about $500 a pair). Also good luck with your new home as well Dale!

7. DaleAV

DaleAV Agent

Personally, I don't think it's difficult if you are a handy guy. I am having someone do it, because the builder is not keen on any homeowener's doing work. Only because he has been burned before. One guy came in on a weekend after he had drywalled, and put up track lighting, as well as a other stuff without telling him. Then he had to have it re-inspected and some things removed.
    Besides the extra speaker wiring I am having an additional RG/6 cable run to the same room to support a dual tuner Dish PVR.
    I hired a small time contractor, $200 for the total job including doing the wall plates and mounting the speakers, after the house is built. He will be running wire on the 'framed' house this weekend. I doubt it will take him an hour.

On an established house, I would probably see how much I could do myself without an installer. But that can be even more difficult because of limited access. As much as you can get done doing the pre-build, the better.
    Talking about simple jobs here, of course. Not a fully outfitted theater or media room.

8. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    The wiring is the tough part for the DIY week-ender. But if that’s pre-wired for you, it’s not terribly hard. If you can do routine household things like install shelving and stuff like that, you should be able to do it.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

9. AlbertD

AlbertD Stunt Coordinator

I just redid my media room and put in ceiling speakers in the back. I went with Niles Audio,their HD line and the pair with 6.5" drivers set me back around $300 or so. I have a 7.1 setup. The speakers are mounted about 2 feet behind the rear seating positions and about 4 feet away from the chair at each end. The tweeters are able to be aimed. Mounting them myself was easy, I just took it slow. I also made sure they were in between the beams and I not only insulated around them but over them as well. As far as the sound, I believe they at least match if not exceed the rear effects speakers that they replaced, even though their cost was much less. Probably due to the fact that in my old setup, I had to have the rear speakers on stands as there was no wall to mount them to. Even great speakers (Triangle Titus 202's) don't sound great if not situated correctly. I believe that you will find the project easy and will sound great.

10. DaleAV

DaleAV Agent

I picked Infinity CS 80R. They retailed orginially for $170 EACH. Most places are selling them for $125 to $140 EACH. Digitally Unique has them for $77 EACH! (even ebay could not beat the $10 shipping and no tax). So I sent off for them.

I have the new home prewired, the ceiling is 'cathedral' and the angle should be perfect for surrounds!
    I will just have to aim the tweeter a bit forward to the listening spot. I suspect these should work just fine for their intended purpose.

11. DaleAV

DaleAV Agent

The Infinitys are out of stock. I settled on Speakercraft AIM One.
    Getting them for $269 pr. Xlnt price.

Just read some negative stuff on the Paradigm website regarding pivioting drivers.
    Actually, makes sense. When you 'pivot' drivers you compromise imaging. This make a whole lot of sense for the front 3 speakers, but in the back, where surround sound is generally more diffused, I am not sure that is critical. I suppose it could be though for locating specific sounds. Something to think about anyway.