What's new

Basic question on AC Outlets & Surge Protector (1 Viewer)

Jim Zanbehr

Agent
I have a couple basic questions.
1) The Switched Outlets on the back of most Receivers. Do any of you use them to plug in other components? If so with which components do you use them and which do you avoid? Is it better to plug all of your components directly into a surge protector/power strip?
2) I understand the basic purpose of using the AC outlets of a surge protector to safeguard electronic equipment, but some of them also have connections for TV Cable/antenna, phone etc. Is that really essential or overkill for a basic home theatre? I don't have Cable installed yet, but do I really need the installer to run it thru the surge protector before it goes into the Receiver or TV? Or where in the chain does it go?

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
quote: The Switched Outlets on the back of most Receivers. Do any of you use them to plug in other components? If so with which components do you use them and which do you avoid? Is it better to plug all of your components directly into a surge protector/power strip?[/quote]
I used to, but now I have an HTS2500 and it has enough outlets for all my components. When I did plug into the receiver it was the tape deck and turntable, since these were turned off almost all of the time. If you are just plugging into a surge protector or power strip then I don't think it make's much of a difference, so long as you don't exceed the rating of the outlets. But if you have a filtered power center, like the Monster, Adcom or Panamax, then you should plug each component directly into the power center. Otherwise, noise generated in the receiver could be fed into whatever compoents are plugged into it and visa versa.
quote: I understand the basic purpose of using the AC outlets of a surge protector to safeguard electronic equipment, but some of them also have connections for TV Cable/antenna, phone etc. Is that really essential or overkill for a basic home theatre? [/quote]
Having surge protection on your power lines doesn't do a bit of good if the lightning hits the telephone wire that your TiVo is hooked up to. The same is true for your TV cable and antenna. Lightning can travel along any wire, whether it is an power cord or a telephone line.
Just plug the TV cable from the wall into the input port on the surge protector and then from the output port to the TV. Do the same with any phone lines or 75 ohm antenna cables. This is also a good idea for phone or cable lines attached to computers.
------------------
Dan
[Edited last by Dan Driscoll on October 31, 2001 at 03:28 PM]

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
You can use the switched outlets on the receiver for anything that doesn't draw a lot of current. EQ's, tape decks, etc... But never power amps or other receivers that have to drive speakers or the like. This will surely damage your receiver and possibly cause a fire. I use mine for my CD changer because my remote can't turn it on/off os it goes on with my receiver and off with it as well.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
It depends on what the max rating of the outlet is on the reciever/preamp.
Currently, my preamp will only allow me to have a small ac transformer plugged in. I use that to trigger all my amps to 'on'
For lightning strikes etc, I put a surge protector in my fusebox. About $75 and it protects the house (think of everything plugged in to an outlet that would die). Many of those strips are worthless (so says UL)
------------------
"My, my, so many guns much anthrax-esque white powder around town these days, and so few brains." Humphrey Bogart

Jim Zanbehr

Agent
Thanks for the info. Putting a surge protector in the fuse box isn't an option. I live in an apartment and they'd frown on tenants playing with the building wiring.

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Another Follow up: Anyone have a preference(brand/model) as far as surge protectors go. I dont want to spend a fortune, but if it will protect my budget equipment its worth a little change. The only thing I will be plugging in (for now) is the tv,receiver,vcr & dvd.
Oh, i would like my cable-tv coax to be able to run through it also :) I seen a cheapo that ran cable coax through for 10 bucks at kmart,but I think I can do better than that :)

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
I'm not generally a fan of Monster, but I have to admit that I am pretty happy with the HTS2500 I installed a few months ago and I do recommend it. But the HTS2500 is a filter and power monitor, in addition to being a surge protector and it runs close to $300. This may be more than you are looking for.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I use a Tripp UPS .

Besides saving your equipment it'll give your equipment a constant 120VAC. I was having some drop out on DVDs...it stopped when I hooked them up to the UPS!

Add up all your equipment watts..it should say in the back usually by the power cord...don't forget the monitor/tv.

add 10% or so and get the model nearest that wattage. Some of them have the phone line/cable protection too

S/B

Sheldon

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Jim...You can plug most gear into the back of your receiver with the exception of high current amplifiers or anything else that may draw large amounts of current.As for the power bar,I would get something that is surge protected.I am not sure what the difference between a $50-60 one versus a less expensive $15 one is though.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks