What's new

Basic question about my Onkyo TX-SR705 (1 Viewer)

holeinone9

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard
I have just purchased Onkyo TX-SR705 and have a very basic question about listening modes. I have PS3 and DirecTV HD DVR input to the 705 via HDMI and HDMI out to my HD TV. I have set up the 705 using Odyssey. Will the 705 automatically use the best/optimum listening mode for movies and TV whatever the source input is? In other words, if I play a Blu-ray movie will I automatically get the best listening mode or do I need to go into the 705 and select a listening mode? Should I always select "Pure Audio"?
Thanks for any input and being patient with a novice.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hi. You should setup each source format with the desired listening mode. Check out page 87 in your manual. By default, the preselected mode is "last valid". Change this to either match the input source (DTS = DTS) or chose a DSP based on your preference (DTS = PLXii). Experiment a bit to see what you like. Not all DSPs will appear if you have 5.1 speakers.

Pure Audio bypasses all of the internal circuitry (included Audyssey).

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
For the benefit of others with similar questions (and the good advice/corrections you get when you post for ALL to see) I will copy my response via PM here.....

Originally Posted by David Willow

DSP - Digital Signal Processing. It basically means take a sound format and enhance it in some manner. For example, if you have 7.1 speakers, you can use PLXii to 'matrix' 5.1 dolby or dts sound into 7.1.

I suggest you go to the screen described on page 87 and set DTS to DTS, TrueHD to TrueHD, etc. Later you can play with the surr button on your remote to see what you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lockheede
Recent bookmarks