1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Basic Instinct

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Jeff Adkins, May 29, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Cinematographer

Jeff Adkins
    I just picked this up today and thought I'd post a few brief thoughts. Lions Gate has such an inconsistent track record in terms of quality that I was worried that they might screw this up. Overall, I'm very happy. It's AVC encoded (a first for Lions Gate?) with DTS-HD audio. Playback of the core DTS track is a significant improvement over the DVD's Dolby Digital track and the pitch problem found on the HD-DVD isn't there. The picture quality is very good and I saw no evidence of compression artifacts. I'm sure someone more qualified will post a more thorough review, but this is the best I've ever seen this film look.

2. ppltd

ppltd Producer

Thomas Eisenmann
    The only question I have is whether or not the Sharon Stone shot in the police station resolves correctly, with lots of fine detail.[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

Bumping as I did not see another dedicated thread for this title. My apologies if there's another, more recent discussion.

Folks with this one in their library should check their copy. I purchased mine in late 2007 and saw it at least twice thru 2008 (haven't seen it in a while). I was dismayed to find it no longer plays on multiple players (two Panasonic units and a PS3 - all latest firmware). The disc was stored in an ideal dedicated home theater environment - cool, dry, etc. The disc is in immaculate condition, with no marks on either side of the disc.

I've sent an email to Lionsgate and I'm curious to see the response.

I've lived thru laserdisc rot (the worst), and a few early DVDs having playback issues early on in the life of that format. A recent post on another forum re: Fox titles no longer playable (i.e. Speed) makes my heart sink. I hope these are VERY isolated incidents affecting only a handful of early titles...

4. cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC Cinematographer

Luis
    I'd like to say something regarding the picture quality for the Basic Instinct BD - I thought this was one of the more impressive hi-def transfers I'd ever seen until people here swore its one of the worst. Too much DNR, people said, it looks fake and plastic and whatever, others pointed out. I was sitting here reading all the negative comments and thinking, what the heck are they talking about! This was around the time of that Predator fiasco earlier this year. I still think BI is one of the best looking discs out there.

5. peterjanni

peterjanni Extra

Peter Janni
    I use a ps3 for bluray playback using the latest firmware 3.55, I believe. Basic Instinct plays fine, no problems to report here. Also checked Speed out, no problems to report there, either.

6. AppleSpider

AppleSpider Agent

Steve
    My Basic Instinct has died as well. Tested on 3 different players... PS3 fatty, Sony BDP-S570 and the Sherwood BDP-5004.

7. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

Lionsgate has been unhelpful. After I described the problem and documented the players that can no longer play the discs, they just responded with an "update your firmware" message and have not responded to follow up communication.

8. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

Arnie Douglas
    My Basic Instinct still works :)

9. Konstantinos

Konstantinos Screenwriter

Konstantinos
    Is there anyone else hoping for a 4K restoration and release of this classic film next year on its quarter of a century (:D) anniversary?
    I understand the first bluray left a lot to be desired, that's why I haven't purchased it still.
    The UK one seems better, but still a new release would be great if done correctly.

Has anyone heard any rumours?
    Could this be possible?
    if only TT had a deal with the studio and could get this too, and add the sublime Goldsmith score as an isolated option..

The thing is, I see so many obscure films or genre B-movies being released in wonderful 4k/2K restorations (i understand they sell), and classic films such as this don't..:(

SAhmed and Dave H like this.
  10. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Agreed, I would love to see a new 4K scan. The cinematography is just crying for it. I have the UK version as I found it better than the U.S. disc which has DNR and a little overly dark.

Konstantinos likes this.
  11. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    titch likes this.
  12. titch

titch Supporting Actor

Kevin Oppegaard
    Thanks for the link - I've been waiting for a definitive version of the Basic Instinct soundtrack for ages! This will complement Intrada's superb expanded Chinatown which was released earlier this year

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/31664/CHINATOWN-EXPANDED/

The Basic Instinct soundtrack is one of my Jerry Goldsmith favourites, up there with Chinatown, The Wind and The Lion, Alien and Total Recall.

13. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    A new Total Recall album is available, too!

http://www.quartetrecords.com/total-recall.html

Neil

titch likes this.
  14. titch

titch Supporting Actor

Kevin Oppegaard
    Fabulous! Now all we need is a new 4K mastering of Basic Instinct. The 2014 MGM Robocop blu ray and 2012 Region B StudioCanal Total Recall blu ray were really good. Showgirls isn't too bad either!

15. The Drifter

The Drifter Supporting Actor

Jim
    Recently re-watched Basic Instinct, for the first time on Blu. Beautiful print, and great film.

This is unfairly thought of as just a skin flick, and that's it - when it's actually a lot more than that. Yes, Sharon Stone is gorgerous here, & the infamous "leg crossing" scene is what people most remember. However, this is a fantastic neo-noir film with a hell of a lot more to offer:

- Great cinematography - the dance club sequence is fantastic; I liked the night-time sequences as well, especially when it was raining;

- Incredible scenery - especially the far shots of the cars driving on the highway, near the ocean;

-Very interesting architecture, especially CT's expensive home.

-Fantastic, suspenseful mystery - which kept you guessing until the very end.

- Truly sublime soundtrack; excellent.

In essence, this is one of the best dramas from the '90's.