What's new

Basic Instinct... Jerry Goldsmith's best score? (1 Viewer)

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
Watched the unrated director's cut again for the first time in about 2 yrs and once again was struck by how great the score was! The score has all the tension you could ask for in a thriller yet all the while being thematic and never did he seem to plagirize his earlier work! I think it may be his best score ever! Any thoughts?
David

Heinz W

Second Unit
My vote for Goldsmiths' best score is Logan's Run. Not as well known as some of his higher profile films/scores such as Patton or Star Trek: TMP, which are very good scores, but I just prefer the Logan score.
Two of his best pieces from Logan are on a 'best of' CD of Goldsmiths' film scores; "The Monument" and "End of the City". Just superb. Out of all the scores he did it says a lot that these two pieces are included on that CD.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Basic Instinct is a superb score, but the guy has written so many fantastic scores over 5 decades, he is a f**king legend!
His greatest scores in my opinion include 'Wind and the Lion', 'Chinatown', 'The Blue Max', 'Patton', 'The Omen', 'Legend', 'Under Fire', 'Star Trek TMP', and many more...
'Basic Instinct' is one of his best and a very effective score, and was Oscar nominated.
Jerry Goldsmith is the greatest living film composer IMHO.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
Basic Instinct is an excellent score, but it's hardly Goldsmith's best. I personally like Malice better. I also agree that Logan's Run is superb and underrated.
Goldsmith has written so many superb scores, it's difficult to choose favorites. I've always been partial to The Wind and the Lion, The Great Train Robbery, Islands in the Stream, and Masada along with his better known Patton, The Sand Pebbles, Chinatown, and Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Goldsmith is truly an underappreciated talent who, in the public's eyes, is overshadowed by the less original and diverse John Williams.
------------------
"Home is where the theater is!"
[Edited last by Justin Doring on September 16, 2001 at 10:27 PM]

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
So many good ones, but I agree that this one is also very good. It is a major force in the strength of the film I believe.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
don't discount "RUDY" that's a great theme of his!
------------------
Chuck
http://www.hometheaterinsider.com

Users who are viewing this thread