Basic Instinct DVD Review

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_L, Sep 19, 2001.

1. Paul_L

Paul_L Extra

Just watched the DVD (unrated), and took some notes with the Icepick Pen. I thought I would make some comments.
    I thought the color was very good, and although I do not do review DVDs professionally, I did not see a great deal of edge enhancements which I thought was beneficial (although I have a rear projection which doesn't seem to be affected by over-edge enhancement). The 5.1 DD didn't seem to make too much use or the surrounds except for the score, but I think the score is so important to this film, that it definitely added to the suspense.
    I did notice some lines throughout the movie, almost as if there was electrical appliance running in my house. I do not know if this is caused by intereference on my AC circuit or if this ever happens on defective DVDs. Any input would be appreicated.
    I know their are alot of Ezsterhaus-bashers out there, but I do think this movie is great, despite the conflagration it caused. Good drama, interesting plot, and tight acting. I also enjoyed the Verhoeven, de Bont and Paglia commentary.
    Highly recommended.
    ------------------
    Paul
    [​IMG]

2. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I got my in the mail today. I'll watch it tonight - I'm interested in how my perceptions will compare with the range of reviews on this title.
    P.S. The case is sh*t.
    [Edited last by Dave H on September 19, 2001 at 05:09 PM]

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

4. Jake Gove

Jake Gove Second Unit

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

The previous disc was the R-rated theatrical cut. The new one comes in two separate versions: the theatrical cut and the unrated director's cut.
    The differences between the two cuts are small but striking. The icepick murders are gorier; the sex scenes are more explicit. I've never measured the difference in overall running time, but it's probably less than a minute.
    M.

6. MichaelO

MichaelO Stunt Coordinator

I will say that the new R rated SE version has one scene, **cough** interrogation **cough**, in particular airbrushed obsuring the view if you catch my drift. Apparently the unrated version doesn't obscure anything.
    This however keeps it from being the full theatrical cut as I also own an R rated VHS version which is devoid of any such airbrushing.
    ------------------
    My Home theater

7. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Yes, there is NO air brushing in the unrated version. [​IMG]
    Overall, the special edition is defintely an improvement - video quality-wise - over the initial release (not to mention having the correct aspect ratio now). The video is clean - but, it just doesn't have that fresh, crisp look to it. I mean take a look at MGM's Silence of the Lambs DVD which came out one year before Basic Instinct - it looks so good. Too bad Basic Instinct couldn't have looked something like it. The outdoor or brighter scenes looked much better than the darker scenes for whatever reason. The audio was decent - not sure how much better than the previous version.
    I was a little disappointed with the extras. The documentary was ok - focused too much on the gay group protesting - although I found that quite interesting. I would have liked to have seen more about the actual making of the movie, actor interviews, etc.
    In the end, I'm glad I bought the disc. The overall presentation was pretty good. However, during the last 45 mintutes of the movie it broke up and pixelated three different times. Deep Discount DVD is sending me a new one when they get them in stock and sending me out a shipping label for a return.

8. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

Click on the icepick (easter egg)to see the Sharon Stone rehersals. I wished they would have shown setting up for the sex scenes in the making of. And the laserdisc spec. ed. had interviews with Stone which this dvd does not.
    And the box sucks.

9. Paul_L

Paul_L Extra

Why would they airbrush that famous leg crossing scene if that was in the rated version which was the R-rated theatrical release. That makes no sense. Are the studios doing their own censoring now?
    ------------------
    Paul
    [​IMG]

10. SteveBjr

SteveBjr Stunt Coordinator

I bought this DVD on Tuesday and i really enjoyed it. I haven't been through all the extras yet, overall i think it was a good buy.