What's new

basic home theater setup (1 Viewer)

kingmotor

Auditioning
Real Name
Brett
I'm having trouble setting up my surround sound system. I'm trying to listen to blu ray discs through my Playstation 3. I'm using regular speaker wire and an optical cable. Its an older receiver so there are no instructions for connecting a PS3. I'm just plugging one end of the optical cable to my PS3 and the other end to the port marked "optical 1". I've tested all the speakers and they are all working. Just in case its needed my TV is a Vizio model #E3D420VX.

kingmotor

Auditioning
Real Name
Brett
oh sorry. its an Onkyo HT-500

ETA: i'm getting no sound with my ps3, and just 2 channel sound with cable TV

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Is your cable TV the internal tuner of the TV...or a box? Have you setup the optical in the AVR?(it doesn't just work, you have to connect it to an input)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
So, which one of the (how many are there?) PS3 do you have?

You have to set it up HDMI video and optical audio. I assumed you already did that and the problem was the AVR end. So, apparently it is the PS3 not setup correctly.

kingmotor

Auditioning
Real Name
Brett
my roommate just walked in and pulled the optical cable out the ps3 and put it in the tv and now its working! i tried that a million times without success. i must have changed a setting on the receiver in the meantime. thanks everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks