What's new

Basic HDTV Hookup Questions (1 Viewer)

DaveSp

Agent
Based on reviews I've read here I've been looking online at the the Toshiba 51H83 HDTV. I've been reading as much info as I can (I'm a newbie), including the FAQ and the downloadable user manual from Toshiba's site. But some basic setup for HDTV is still unclear to me. My prime interest is using a progressive DVD player and that hookup I understand. Just what additional is needed to connect a monitor like this to cable TV? The BestBuy ad says:

- Standard-definition, enhanced-definition and high-definition digital television monitors require an optional set-top box to decode over-the-air digital TV broadcasts

This first question applies to standard TV signals, not HDTV. The user manual shows a direct hookup to either a coax antenna cable or a "converter box". I would have thought a receiver of some sort is necessary (VCR works?).

For HDTV, I understand that converter/receiver of some form is necessary. I have Comcast here in Seattle - if they offer HDTV signal support, would they also offer any necessary in-line receiver/converter?

Sorry for the seemingly dumb questions - I'm trying to get a handle on what the bare necessities are.

Dave Sparks

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
The TV comes with a standard NTSC tuner built in. This will allow you to receive standard TV cable or antenna throught the coax input. The Best buy info is misleading, you only need a separate box for HDTV.

Comcast will supply you with an HDTV converter (probably a Motorola DTC 5100) which will decode analog and digital standard TV as well as HDTV signals from the cable company, so you can hook it up to your component inputs and not have to change inputs for standard vs. HDTV.

DaveSp

Agent
Jeff -

Thanks, I suspected that may be the case.

To be honest, I have taken great pains to avoid talking to an in-house BestBuy salesperson. My intent has been to do on-line brand & model research and go in (there or somewhere else) and say I want that, that, and that - and nothing else! Maybe that's being unfair to them.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Dave

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
you only need a separate box for HDTV.
Well, in my neighborhood, you need a cable box to receive digital channels as well. It all depends on your cable company.

Also, make sure your cable provider brings you an HD cable box. You have to specifically request it with my carrier.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Dave,

You are right. You do need a separate box to receive digital cable or pay channels. But DaveSp was under the assumption that the TV came with no tuner whatsoever, which is definately untrue. Reading through his post again, the Best Buy info said he needed a settop box to receive digital signals, which is true, but he does not need one to receive standard analog TV over the air or through basic NTSC cable.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"Maybe that's being unfair to them."

Only if you find the 1 in 20 that know what they are talking aboot:)

Brent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks