1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Basic DVD Tech Question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by BrentCelmins, Feb 8, 2004.

1. BrentCelmins

BrentCelmins Auditioning

'm looking into upgrading my home theater system, but I want to know some basic technical information about DVDs that I'm unclear of.

I'm not completely uninformed about the technologies out there, but I want some things cleared up.

What resolution are DVDs mastered in? In other words, are they being properly displayed through a DVI out at 720p? Or is 480p the native resolution of DVD, making 720p and 1080i useful for HDTV signals, D-VHS, and the obvious HD-DVD that is on the horizon, but moot for the current DVD technology?

If 480p is the max resolution for a DVD, then what is your recommended DVD player purchase for under $300? I understand that the Samsung HD931 has problems. I am willing to wait for the next wave of DVI capable players to be released, but my question is obviously, what's the point of getting the DVI capable player to run something at 720p (or 1080i, I guess) if it's only a 480p source?

I'm specifcally looking into purchasing the Samsung 43" DLP television.

Thanks

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

480p (720x480 resolution) is the source resolution from DVD, those DVI players upconvert it to 720p/1080i by adding pixels and filtering - not adding real information. I'd say go with a good quality 480p player with a Faroudja de-interlacer. For $300 you could go with a Mitsubishi DD-8040 or a Denon DVD-910, or look for a used top-rated Panasonic RP82,XP30,XP50 or Denon DVD-1600.

3. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I thought the native was 480i?

4. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

Just as an aside, although there is only 480p available from the disc, I do scale all mine up to 720p.

I do this because I'm projecting them onto an 84" wide screen, and if I project 480p, then the scan lines become noticeable.

Where you're planning on using a 43" diagonal DLP RPTV, I don't think this would be an issue, and so I don't see a reason to feed it more than 480p.

Matt