Basic DVD Player for the Gaming Junkie

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew Will, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Matthew Will

Matthew Will Stunt Coordinator

Hey everyone,
    Here is my question. I want a good all around but CHEAP DVD player. I'd love for it to have 3:2 pull down, deinterlacing, progressive scan, all the good stuff. Im not very experienced on how each of those works so if its impossible to have all going at once then it is up to you guys to tell me what I need.
    I'm going to be using this primarily for DVD's obviously. One concern I have, however, is if I can use the image enhancing technology of the DVD player for other things such as my Playstation 2. Is it possible for a DVD player to have some sort of Video and Audio IN connections like VCR's have? Thus I could plug the TV Tuner, Playstation 2, and anything else into the DVD player which would send a better signal to the projector. Are there any DVD's that do this? If they do have those connections then do they enhance the image using progressive scan, 3:2 pulldown, or anything like that?
    Most importantly, are there any DVD players that can do all this for less than $300? Let me know. Thanks. Matt

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III

I guess it's possible but no stand alone DVD player that I've heard of can do that, certainly not for

3. Jason Pugh

Jason Pugh Agent

It is simple logic really. No regular DVD players have inputs because they don't need them. The reason you have inputs on VCRs is because they can RECORD. Now if you want one with inputs then you might get a newer DVD Recorder but that won't come for less than $300 and it isn't really the right way to go about getting what you want. Just buy a cheaper player and a switch or something. Just my opinion.

4. Sathyan

Sathyan Second Unit

DVD players are not going to be able to record like a VCR. But if you are just looking for AV in/out to PASS THRU the signal (for example if your TV has only one set of AV inputs & you're not using a preamp/receiver) Sony has a DVD players the NS415 with this feature at AV level.
    You are not going to get upconversion. Besides, the signal can't be made better than the source.