What's new

BASIC : Cons of components in hall closet (?) (1 Viewer)

Les_B

Auditioning
Forgive me, BASIC question from a 2-channel stereo geek
moving into the 20th century...

New home construction, w/ dedicated HT room. Plasma,
w/ 7.1 surround (in-walls).

QUESTION: As a bachelor, I was accustomed to proudly displaying my gear in a rack within the room. Now, my wife wants ALL components hidden in a large hall closet (directly behind the wall on which the screen will reside).

I've read posts from guys putting their gear in closets, but I have "knowledgeable" friends that claim that it will drive me CRAZY in the long run if I don't have the gear in the HT room where I can readily see the displays.

What is the downside of locating your gear in a closet?

Thanks much in advance....

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
Heat.

On screen display is a must for volume levels ect.

IR control - unless u invest in a good repeater system like Niles or Xantech. (Im looking into the Xantech)

I have seen theaters that are super clean (all gear in a closet) and Ive seen them proudly displed in the room. Either will work great depending on your preference.

If there are going to be little fingers around the closet is a great way to protect your gear.

Also think about how easy it is to get to the closet to change DVD's.

Hope that helps.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
I like having my equipment in the closet. My room set up sound close to yours with the closet sharing a wall with the screen.

I opened up the back of the closet and had a smoked glass frame built with hinges so I can see the displays from the seats and still have the clean look in the room. My GF really likes the look of this and I have the best of both worlds. I can see my displays and have easy access to all connections via the closet door.

This also made running connections around the room much easier ( If you live in a ranch style house or are on the second floor)because you can cut a decent size access panel in the ceiling and run everything through the attic and into the walls.

I have never had a heat problem and when I built the shelving I made sure there was plenty of room. I did consider this problem however and if I needed to I would have hooked up a small fan that either could be operated by remote or would come on when the receiver was on.

Good luck :)

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Since it's new construction I hope you have the option of providing adequate ventilation and easy access to the inputs and cables. There's nothing worse than having to pull stuff out just to plug in a cable.

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
You can't see the volume readout, so if you're running a front projection setup you might want a monitor for the OSD. Otherwise, there are no disadvantages.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks