Basic Calibration

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Brown, Aug 20, 2002.

1. James Brown

James Brown Stunt Coordinator

I just finally put up my rears mounted high up 4 inches from the ceiling. I havent bought any calibration tools yet so ive been using my Toy Story 2 disc which has Audio setup provided by THX. Ive also been using the built in test tones Denon has on its receivers. When it sends out the pink noise for the Surrounds, I hear it coming out of the mains also, but lower in sound.

When I listen to music, in 5 ch stereo, do i want the rears to be heard as loud as the mains? Right now I have the rears setup +6 and the rest at 0 only because when i watch Lord of the Rings i can barely hear anything coming out of the rears.

Basically, what im looking for is... How is it suppossed to be? How much sound do i want out of those rears?

Any input?

2. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    You can calibrate your system to your ears liking, or, go get yourself AVIA or VIDEO ESSENTIALS and a Radio shack SPL meter if you want an answer to your question below.

3. jacob w k

jacob w k Stunt Coordinator

If you are doing it by ear try to make sure that the test tones from the surrounds and the mains sounds fairly close in terms of volume. Then if you watch a movie and still don't hear the surrounds much than it is probably supposed to be that way. Of course, all that matters is that it sounds good to you so if decide that the surrounds should be louder than you can turn them up.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

5. James Brown

James Brown Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the input! Lastnight I got home and threw in Spy Games DVD to hear some helicopter action and I was more content with the way its setup. Especially the part where Nathan recruits Bishop to take out the Laoasian leader. The helicopter flew around my family room.

I did not run the built in test tones again but will tongiht when i get home to verify wether or not i was hearing the mains also.

I will be looking into the Avia disc and did check RS for an SPL meter but unfortunately the nearby RS did not have it.

Thanks again.