Basic Buffy question...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter D, Nov 15, 2001.

1. Peter D

Peter D Stunt Coordinator

I've been catching Buffy for the first time with its run from the beginning on FX. I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but I do have one question. We know Buffy has to stake vampires to kill them, but what's stopping the bad guys from just taking a gun and shooting her and the Scooby gang? Do they ever address this in the show's 'internal logic'?

2. Jason P

Jason P Stunt Coordinator

I'm not exactly a Buffy expert myself, more of a novice, but I think the explanation is along the lines of why nobody just took a gun and shot Batman or James Bond point-blank. It would make for a short series.
    Just a guess.

3. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Because most of the vampires Buffy kills are dumb. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    To the men and women of the N.Y. police and fire department
    God bless you.
    To the victims and their families
    God keep you.
    To the dirtbags who caused all this
    God help you!!!

4. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

Well, shes definitly had a few enemies shoot at her, she just uses those slayer reflexes to dodge the bullets though. I would guess Vamps dont arm themselves with Guns because in addition to killing her they want to drink her blood right from her neck, not her wounds.
    But I guess the simple answer is storytelling. If all the sunnydale vamps grabbed a gun and shot Buffy every other episode...well, there just isnt much storytelling potential there.
    I guess.
    JQ

5. Dax Scott

Dax Scott Stunt Coordinator

Ever notice that whenever a show has people who pass through walls and other solid objects (because they are ghosts, they are "out of phase", etc.) they never fall through the floor?
    Some things are better left undiscussed. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Dax R. Scott - DVD Addict
    Ask yourself... what would Ditka do?

6. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Darla used guns against Buffy in Season 1. One reason I think vamps don't like them as much is because they are much noisier and bring more attention than a silent kill.

7. Mike Miskulin

Mike Miskulin Second Unit

See, it's like trying to drink out of a straw that has an extra hole in it, you can't get enough soda for the amount of suction you exert. It's the same way for the vamps, keep two simple holes at the neck, don't break a sweat getting the blood. Shoot a couple holes in a person and the blood's cold by the time you suck it all out! Not to mention the mess!

8. Peter D

Peter D Stunt Coordinator

Oh well - I was hoping the writers came up with some cool explanation sometime during the series run. Guess not, eh? [​IMG]

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I could swear there is a line in there somewhere about why they don't get a gun. I think that it's a Spike-ism, something about the Vamp ego, guns are beneath them. I could be remembering wrong tho
    Jeff Kleist

10. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

During "Bad Girls", when the mayor was attacked by the vampires wielding swords, Mr. Trick does say something about them being so out of fashion, and mentioned that the modern assassin uses an Uzi.
    My guess is that gun shops are just closed during evening hours. [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Danny R on November 16, 2001 at 02:09 AM]

11. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Second Unit

Yeah, Mr. Trick says, "It's called an uzi, chump! 'D be saving your ass about now!"
    I think it's all tradition and the fact that shooting someone is too easy, takes all the fun out of the hunt. Remember these vamps live for the chase. Couple examples I could cite, luck evil Willow in "the Wish" says when Cordy starts running away, "I love this part." Xander replies, "You love all the parts." It's thrill killing. And some vamps, like Angel, take great pride and pleasure in the artistry of their killings. In Amends one of the spirits haunting him says, "All I was thinking was who would go to so much trouble to arrange them like that?" in reference to the way he found his murdered family. And there's the way Angel killed Miss Calender, playing with her, stalking her around the school before snapping her neck and creating a scene for Giles to discover. I'm sure I could find more examples.
    ------------------
    Brad Grenz
    intelligenTV
    the Widgets

12. Leo Hinze

Leo Hinze Stunt Coordinator

I just finished watching the episode where Buffy discovers that Angel is a vampire. Near the end of the episode, Darla tries to kill Buffy with a pistol.

13. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Bah.
    Pretty much the only creature that any given vampire is going to meet up with, which it's natural strength, speed and fortitude won't allow it to deal with, is another vampire, demon, or other such supernatural beastie. A gun won't bother most such beasties, whereas an axe, sword or stake will, as well as benefiting from said strength and speed.
    Seeing as how there's only (supposed to be) one Slayer, your average vampire doesn't feel the need to prepare for the contingency.