Basic basic home theatre system / dorm room set up....

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by JoshVogel, Jul 9, 2003.

1. JoshVogel

JoshVogel Auditioning

Hello, This is my first post but I did lurk awhile looking for the answers to my questions and didn't see any.

I'm planning on spending somewhere between $500-1000 on a set up.(TV & & DVD & Sound) I've never owned any really decent electronics so I was hoping to get the best for my money and I came here hoping some of you could help me do that. I'm not looking for anything special just something that could be expanded upon later, that will give me good quality video(flatscreen tv + good dvd player) and sound(doesn't need to be surround), and I'd like to be able to hook it up to my computer for both video and sound(s-video?).

I'm hoping I came to the right place, if I didn't could someone direct me somewhere else?

I know little to nothing about tv's and sound, computers are my thing.

Thanks,
    J Vogel

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

if i understand you correctly, you're trying to get a new tv, speakers and a dvd player for 1k? that is going to be a very tight fit.

the only thing i can think of that may work is a htb (600) plus a decent tv (400).

would that be a viable option for you?

3. Agustin

Agustin Agent

Go for Sony Wega 25" a sony dvd player maybe the 325N and look for a Kenwood HT all in a box, you can buy all for 1000-1200 usd

4. scott>sau

scott>sau Stunt Coordinator

Spend half of your budget on speakers, they re-produce the sound. www.crutchfield.com has home theater systems in a box suggestions.

5. JoshVogel

JoshVogel Auditioning

haha looks like I'm going to just pick up a nice tv and wait on everything else [​IMG]

Any suggestions on a TV under $500 around 27"?

6. Zach Foster

Zach Foster Stunt Coordinator

Josh, I've got a suggestion on what I think is a GREAT 27-inch Flat Screen TV. The RCA F27TF720. It has a twin-tuner PIP, and a lot of room for expanding. It comes with a component input and if you buy a certain cable from RCA, it enables you to have 2 Component inputs. It also has 2 S-video inputs and quite a few RCA Composite inputs. Currently, Wal-Mart.com sells it for $388, and it is DEFINITELY a set I would recommend. It also has an On-Screen Program Listing Guide that is exclusive to RCA, and since I've started using it, I couldn't imagine watching antenna TV without it! [​IMG]

7. JoshVogel

JoshVogel Auditioning

mmm sounds interesting.... though I don't know what half the stuff you mentioned is [​IMG]

I'll check it out, thanks.

8. Zach Foster

Lol, oops, sorry. It's got "Picture In Picture", and a bunch of plug-ins to connect things with. [​IMG]

9. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

Josh, get that tv mentioned above,

get the pioneer vsx-d511 for a receiver 180-200 bucks.
    fluance ht speaker system consisting of 2 towers, 2 surrounds and a center. around 200 bucks
    find a sony sawm40 subwoofer. 200 bucks
    and a toshiba sd 1600 dvd player. 130 bucks

total.

tv 388
    receiver 180
    speakers 200
    dvd player 130
    subwoofer 150

1048. right in your ball park! Great starter system!

10. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

This will sound better than all the cheap home theater in a box! I have been doing some research on these fluance speakers, and they sound very very good. There will be some breakin time, but after that, they sound smooth.....you dont need the sub right away. but I would seriously think about getting this setup!

11. JoshVogel

JoshVogel Auditioning

Steve, thank you very much I was actually just about to go out and pick up the TV or something similar... those components look like a good deal I've been looking at the specs. I'll probably pick up the speakers, and reciever and wait on the dvd player and subwoofer.

Thanks again.

12. Zach Foster

That sounds cool Josh. When I found the TV I was talking about (the F27TF720), I couldn't believe all I was getting for my money. I have had no complaints out of it so far, and I've had it since last Christmas. Good luck! [​IMG]

13. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

No problem,

Im actaully looking at getting these speakers myself. not sure when however....