Basic 96/24 digital audio question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Di Lauro, Aug 6, 2001.

1. John Di Lauro

John Di Lauro Stunt Coordinator

In looking at the specs on various DVD players, I noticed
    that some will pass a 96KHz/24bit stream through the digital
    outputs, some will downsample to 48KHz if the disc is "protected",
    and some will not pass any 96/24 digital signal. Is this a result of some anti-copying protection scheme?
    My understanding of Dolby 5.1 and DTS audio tracks is that both are created using a 48Khz sampling rate.
    Does anyone know of any DVDs that contain a 96/24 audio stream?
    I'm wondering how big of deal this lack of capability really is.
    I'm not sure but it seems to me that most of lower/mid-priced receivers are not capable of accepting a 96/24 stream anyway.
    Thanks for the help. I'm new to all this and so far have learned quite a bit from this forum.

2. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    All DVD Players will downconvert if a flag on the disk is set not to allow high resolution output. There is not a lot of material on DVD-Video that has 96k/24. Two companies, Chesky and Classic Records, have put out some stereo 96k/24 audio only DVD-V disks. Most are waiting for DVD-Audio or SACD to take off, neither of which can ouput a digital signal at this point.

3. John Di Lauro

John Di Lauro Stunt Coordinator

Craig,
    Thanks for the information. This leads me to another
    question. If no current digital sources can output greater
    than 48KHz (and I presume this is due in part to paranoid
    record companies), why do some receivers contain 192KHz DACs? Seems to me this is ridiculous overkill if you can only feed a 48KHz signal to it.

4. Robert A. Willis Jr.

Robert A. Willis Jr. Second Unit

The Chesky and Classic 24/96 discs do not inhibit full spectrum digital output. There are many players that allow the output of 24/96 digital output without down conversion. Pioneer and Cal Audio come to mind. Of course the Theta and Proceed units are transports and do not possess dacs.
    I am not that familiar with DVD-A, but I do not know of any manufacturer that will state that their players will output without down conversion. This is a major point of contention with the High End manufacturers and the software industry. Whether or not these units are capable of ignoring any flags etc. is a matter of conjecture.
    There may well be underground hacks that can "fix" this problem (I DO NOT KNOW OF ANY, SO DON'T ASK :)). In fact, there may be configuration sequences on most players that disable down-conversion. I just don't know. The software producers are the culprits here.
    rw

5. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    John,
    Robert is correct. Some players will output the 96K if the disc is not flagged to prevent it. This was the whole point with Classic and Chesky. They aren't the huge greedy studios, they want their material to sound the best it can. David Chesky is outraged at the big studios for holding back the digital outputs for DVD-A and SACD which prevents the user from taking full advantage of the formats. As for 192K DACs, right now it's marketing buzz except for receivers like the Onkyo 989 which are upgradable to a IEEE-1394 port.
    Robert,
    This IS a company that will add a digital out for DVD players, but you must use their DACs as they are the only DACs that can take the proprietary output. They are MSB Technologies.

6. Alfonso_M

Alfonso_M Second Unit

On the “Seven” dvd (new edition)on disc 2 you can play the title sequence encoded in 96/24, as far as I know this is the only dvd that adds this extra feature. Good for testing your system.