Basic $100 DVD player-will it "downmix" 5.1 DVDs to left/right audio out?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MTrotter, Nov 1, 2002.

1. MTrotter

MTrotter Stunt Coordinator

Marc
    I want to put a cheap 20" TV and basic DVD player in my son's bedroom. The TV I am looking at has a composite video input and left/right audio inputs and two speakers. The DVD player is just a basic player that has left/right audio out on the back.

Here's the question: I know a lot of DVDs now have only a DD 5.1 track with no Dolby 2.0 track. Will such a DVD player "downmix" the 5.1 track to a left/right output such that the dialog will be heard? The salesman at Circuit City says it will, but he doesn't know how. I know there are some combination TV/DVD players that seem to work, so maybe he is right. I don't know how this works, since the player won't have a DD 5.1 decoder.

2. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

The stereo downmix is accomplished via a 2 channel DD decoder, a minimal requirement for all DVD players. Phase is even maintained so that a dolby pro logic system (remember those pre-digital audio receivers?) can extract 4 channels.

Doug

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I have a cheapo Apex player that I got free with my rptv hooked up exactly this way to an 85 vintage Sony KV25XBR in the bedroom--works fine.

4. MTrotter

MTrotter Stunt Coordinator

Marc
    Thanks for the info, guys. Looks like I'm good to go.