What's new

Basic $100 DVD player-will it "downmix" 5.1 DVDs to left/right audio out? (1 Viewer)

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
I want to put a cheap 20" TV and basic DVD player in my son's bedroom. The TV I am looking at has a composite video input and left/right audio inputs and two speakers. The DVD player is just a basic player that has left/right audio out on the back.

Here's the question: I know a lot of DVDs now have only a DD 5.1 track with no Dolby 2.0 track. Will such a DVD player "downmix" the 5.1 track to a left/right output such that the dialog will be heard? The salesman at Circuit City says it will, but he doesn't know how. I know there are some combination TV/DVD players that seem to work, so maybe he is right. I don't know how this works, since the player won't have a DD 5.1 decoder.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
The stereo downmix is accomplished via a 2 channel DD decoder, a minimal requirement for all DVD players. Phase is even maintained so that a dolby pro logic system (remember those pre-digital audio receivers?) can extract 4 channels.

Doug

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I have a cheapo Apex player that I got free with my rptv hooked up exactly this way to an 85 vintage Sony KV25XBR in the bedroom--works fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks