Basement sub-floor next week.... any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Miles, Mar 12, 2001.

1. Miles

Miles Second Unit

Hi folks,
    I'm putting a subfloor ontop of the concrete in my basement probably next weekend. Any suggestions or experiences you'd like to share?
    One main area I'd like some opinions on is fixing the floor to the concrete slab... Some suggest conrete nails... some suggest the screws with lead sleeves. Also, I though I remember reading recommendations to leave the floor unattached as it may prevent some of the vibrations from entered the walls of the of my home...
    Anyway... I'm totally unexperienced with construction so it should be fun/frustrating.
    Thanks for any help,
    Miles

2. TomK

TomK Stunt Coordinator

3. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    Great site, Tom K! Inspirational.

4. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Miles,
    When I had mine built last fall, the contractor and I finally decided on putting down a series of 2x4 on their side so the suspension was only 2" high and then put plywood on top. The 2x4's were put into the concrete with concrete nails. The reason I didn't suspend it 4" high was because I was building a 14" riser 6 1/2' away from the back wall for the second row of seating and I didn't want to have limited headroom in the back row.
    I have played some heavy bass movies and music and there has not be even the hint of anything rattling or any annoying harmonics.
    Patrick

5. andyg

andyg Agent

Miles,
    Take a look at my site. I used a new product from Delta-FL(Same as Tom). It sits on-top of the concrete and allows it to breath, thus reducing the chance of mold and mildew building up under the sub floor as with conventional flooring schemes. I then laid 3/4" T&G on-top of the Delta-FL and use about 25 concrete anchors to secure the sub floor to the concrete. I also used more than recommended to ensure the sub would not make the floor loosen and cause creaking. This approach seemed to be the best to ensure your HT does not start to smell after a few years......
    http://www.garabedian.org/Theater_pics3.htm
    ---Andy Garabedian

6. Allan Yates

Allan Yates Auditioning

My favorite basement floor construction is 1" Styrofoam SM overlaid with 1/2" fir plywood. These are fastened to the concrete with Hilti impact HPS-1 fasteners. You drill through the plywood and styrofoam into the concrete and then knock the fastener in with a hammer.
    Allan.
    ------------------
    Intelligent Interiors
    http://www.i2automation.com
    Sales, installation, service, and parts for:
    Lighting, Home Automation, Security, Audio/Video, Home Theatre
    Vantage, Crestron, Elan, Audio Request, Arrakis, Atlantic Technology, Sonance, Niles

7. Miles

Miles Second Unit

Lots of great suggestions, there are so many ways to do a relatively simple thing. [​IMG]
    I had been planning on doing what PatrickM had done, but I'm also curious to see this Delta-FL material.
    My basement was poured last summer and it now has that small crack between the floor and the exterior walls it seems this was created as the concrete cured. How many would recommend sealing this crack... or for that matter the entire floor with some form of sealant?
    Later,
    Miles
    PS Allan did you just lay down the foam loose without any wood (2x4s) and then lay the plywood ontop and fasten the ply to the concrete?

8. TomK

TomK Stunt Coordinator

Miles:
    Here is the link for Delta FL .
    Check it out, I highly recommend it. I think you can get them to send you a sample.
    Tom

9. Allan Yates

Allan Yates Auditioning

I lay the styrofoam (with shiplap edges) down loose right on top of the concrete floor. I then lay the plywood on top of the styrofoam. I offset the pieces so that the plywood edge joints line up with the middle of the styrofoam pieces (they come in 2'x8' sheets). I then drill down through both pieces into the concrete with a masonary drill and hammer in the Hilti fastner.
    I considered using the Delta-FL product, but decided against it because my basement is perfectly dry and I really wanted the insulation value. That being said I flooded my basement (due to the design of a conduit hole I had drilled in the foundation) and the floor dried out perfectly.
    No 2x4s or 1x3s at all.
    Allan.
    ------------------
    Intelligent Interiors
    http://www.i2automation.com
    Sales, installation, service, and parts for:
    Lighting, Home Automation, Security, Audio/Video, Home Theatre
    Vantage, Crestron, Elan, Audio Request, Arrakis, Atlantic Technology, Sonance, Niles

10. Miles

Miles Second Unit

I finally found the Delta-FL underlay at a Kent store here in Halifax. I'm glad I did as a the thickness of the normal sub-floor would have required me to learn some plumbing to raised by base-board water registers. The material should show up in a week or so, so until then I'll just sit on my mountain of Tapcon screws... ouch...
    BTW Thanks for everyone's suggestions... as a tip for others, I really recommend looking at as many of the HT pictures in the Home Theater area. I find there are lots of neat ideas you can apply to your own construction, and you can take a look at which ideas work and which don't.
    Later,
    Miles

11. Matt Phillips

Matt Phillips Auditioning

When you drill the holes in your concrete to install the Delta-FL make sure the hole is at least an inch deeper than the length of your screw. The dust from the concrete can gather in the bottom of the hole and prevent the Tapcons from going in the whole way. When I installed mine, I drilled the hole and then used a vacuum cleaner to suck all the dust out of the hole. Sure made the job a bit easier. And definately get a hammer drill if you don't have one already.
    Good luck!
    -Matt

12. Miles

Miles Second Unit

Thanks Matt,
    Got the hammer-drill... good tip with the vacuum!
    Thanks,
    Miles

13. Miles

Miles Second Unit

Hey folks,
    What size/length Tapcons did you guys use? I used the bit that came in the box with my Tapcons and had trouble today as the bit died quickly. It was a real chore getting into the concrete so I stopped, worrying that I was using the wrong equipment and Tapcons... Any suggestions on drill bits too?
    Thanks,
    Miles

14. TomK

TomK Stunt Coordinator

Miles:
    It is a big job. I forget which Tapcons I used but the suggestion about drilling an inch deeper is a valid one. Lay in a good supply of drill bits. I think I used the titanium ones. I went through about 10 of them. Make sure to get some extra Tapcons too.
    Tom