Basement remodelling - Speaker placement.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James_Buck, Sep 17, 2001.

1. James_Buck

James_Buck Auditioning

I'm currently remodelling my basement HT which was a 25'L x 10.5'W room to an "L" shape room which is still 25'L x 10.5' plus a 10'L x 4'W section. The room is 10.5' W on one end, 14'W on the other. 25'L on one side, 15' then back 4' then another 10'.
    This was done to add more width to fit a 155" x 107" L sectional couch.
    The problem I am having is with the surround speaker placements. Its a 6.1 (or 7.1) system with side and rear surrounds. The rear surrounds are ok, but the side surrounds are the problem. One side surround will have to be placed inside a 4' section due to a door going on the 10' wall.
    Won't this cause problems? I was planning on getting bipole speakers (Paradigm ADP-370's) for the sides. Maybe I should just get regular forward firing speakers instead?
    Please help......

2. Robert A

Robert A Stunt Coordinator

All Dolby Digital processors allow for you to adjust the time delay or level of the speakers to compensate for distance inequalities. Refer to your owners manual for a better explanation on how to do this with your reciever. Ideally though, you want the distance from on side speaker to be the same as the other.

3. James_Buck

James_Buck Auditioning

I haven't played with my new receiver yet (AVR 5800), but I thought that the timing adjustment was for adjustment between front and rear speakers, not right and left sides
    I guess I was more worried about the side firing bipole speaker firing directlyinto a wall?