Basement HT ??

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Greg_GG, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Greg_GG

Greg_GG Extra

Hello everyone. I am a big fan but never had the money to start any project. Well I have some money and was thinking of putting a low cost room in my basement. I already have the componets I will use for the time being. I would like to build the room in my basement. The problem is my area, 12ft X 17 and where the TV will go it is only 5ft tall and the rest of the area is a little under 6ft not counting some duct work to the side. I think it might not be too feasable to build a room in that size of a basement but i thought I would ask you guys for your advise.
    Just a list of components
    Denon2801
    Mitsubishi 46 widescreen
    Custum built front speakers
    NHT rear speakers
    JBL Sub
    Panasonic DVD

Thank You Greg

2. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

Greg, most building codes allow a minimum of 6'8" of head clearance...otherwise it may be deemed a crawl space and not approved for "living space." Check your local county/city regulations, but that's pretty standard.

3. Greg_GG

Greg_GG Extra

I didn't plan on having it inspected. Plus I can always say it was there when I bought the house. It is an old lake house and none of the ceilings are that high. I was just curious if it was possable to do with the height and room restrictions. Keep in mind I don't want or need the best. Than you for your post.
    Greg

4. Erik Farstad

Greg, well the size of the room is not an issue, for 12x17' is a great size for a home theater. So to answer your question, sure it will work...you may have to deal with things like how to get power, HVAC, and other things to that room to make it feasible...feel free to contact me offline, via email, if I can help! [​IMG]

5. Greg_GG

Greg_GG Extra

Thank you Erik for your time and fast response I will take you up on your offer when I get close or dive into this project.

Greg

6. Erik Farstad

Anytime...[​IMG]