What's new

Basement HT/Family Room (1 Viewer)

Bryan'G

Auditioning
I only recently discovered this site. Wow it is great.

Current situation: Wife, 2 small kids, 10 year old 27" TV, 5.1 sound system in our living room.

Goal: Convert our (finished) basement into a Home Theater/Family Room/Kids play area. Dimensions are 12' wide by 26' long. (No longer have a TV in the living room)

Timeframe: Up to a year from now to make the purchase.

Obviously I need to replace the TV, but I want to spend under $1000 on the TV. This will be our everyday TV, in addition to DVD/movie watching. Hopefully something HD ready in 16:9 format.

What recomendations/suggestions do you have? What will be in this price range a year from now? I am more curious about the type of TV as opposed to specific brands. Currently we just have "regular" cable, not digital, but I want to be prepared for the next number of years. I had never even considered projection TV before reading this forum. It sounds like this is more appropriate for dedicated theater rooms as opposed to a combination family room, but I am open to suggestions.

I tried to keep this short but got long winded. Sorry. ;)

Bryan'G

Auditioning
Dean,
It is a basement so the light can be controlled, however am I correct in assuming that the lights would need to be off while viewing? I am thinking of Sunday afternoon football games or a hockey game in the evening with the kids playing on half the basement and me watching on the other. That wouldn't work if the lights needed to be out. Can these projectors display High Def quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks