Basement Heating

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Chris Huber, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Chris Huber

Chris Huber Second Unit

I've got my theater in the basement. I love the room for movies and such. However, it is cold down there in the winter. We only have 2 small heating vents for a finished 1000 sq ft area. Even both open, it doesn't do much good.

I have a radiant space heater that I use down there. The kind that has a 800 watt or 1200 watt setting. It works ok, but I am afraid it's using to much electricity.

What do you guys use or have heard about for heat in the basement like that?

2. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

I just shut all the vents upstairs and channel all the heat to the basement. I have a 1500W portable heater operating behind us and sometimes another 1500W running in the front (we have a fairly large basement). We also have a few nice cozy fleece blankies [​IMG]

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
  4. Chris Huber

Chris Huber Second Unit

Can you think of the heaters as this? Say it says 800-1200 watt settings on the heater. Is this like turning on 8, 100 watt bulbs in the house or is the electricity different?

Is it the same for a computer too? 400 watt power supply is like leaving on 4 bulbs all the time?

5. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Ours is the same, and it's not close to 1000 sq ft. We installed a propane fireplace (our house does not have natural gas) and it is amazing. A little pricey, but we leave the stairway door open and it heats the whole house ! Also keeps the basement amazingly dry, no more mold or musty smells.