What's new

Basement Heating (1 Viewer)

Chris Huber

Second Unit
I've got my theater in the basement. I love the room for movies and such. However, it is cold down there in the winter. We only have 2 small heating vents for a finished 1000 sq ft area. Even both open, it doesn't do much good.

I have a radiant space heater that I use down there. The kind that has a 800 watt or 1200 watt setting. It works ok, but I am afraid it's using to much electricity.

What do you guys use or have heard about for heat in the basement like that?

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
I just shut all the vents upstairs and channel all the heat to the basement. I have a 1500W portable heater operating behind us and sometimes another 1500W running in the front (we have a fairly large basement). We also have a few nice cozy fleece blankies :D

Chris Huber

Second Unit
Can you think of the heaters as this? Say it says 800-1200 watt settings on the heater. Is this like turning on 8, 100 watt bulbs in the house or is the electricity different?

Is it the same for a computer too? 400 watt power supply is like leaving on 4 bulbs all the time?

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

Ours is the same, and it's not close to 1000 sq ft. We installed a propane fireplace (our house does not have natural gas) and it is amazing. A little pricey, but we leave the stairway door open and it heats the whole house ! Also keeps the basement amazingly dry, no more mold or musty smells.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks