1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Basement floor...what to do?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Ramon O. Valera, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Ramon O. Valera

Ramon O. Valera Stunt Coordinator

Hey,

I was wondering if I need to put down a subfloor on my concrete basement floor in order to put down carpet. I think I might because I have old drainage grooves cut into the floor. Unless I fill them in.

Thoughts?
    Ramon

2. Ryan.S.

Ryan.S. Extra

I just put some carpet in my basement and didn't need to put down a subfloor. I think the easiest thing to do would be fill in the grooves and then put it down. The installer just glued the tack strips around the outside as well as drove the tiny little nails down into the concrete. Worked great [​IMG] It really makes a difference compared to that cold floor.

3. TonyGricar

TonyGricar Agent

having recently finished the floor of my new basement theater, i can tell you that HomeDepot has a nice looking product, which i didn't end up going with. it's a 2'x2', toungue and groove osb underlayment with nylon "nipples" on the bottom. it keeps the flooring 3/8" or so off the concrete and allows for some moisture and averting the chill of a basement floor. it was 3.50 or so per piece.

i ended up putting down Lowe's Kanga line of self-install carpet. it comes with an attached, albeit thin, pad and goes down with heavy duty, double-sided tape. .91 a sq. foot and really have been impressed. it's by no means a heavy-duty carpet, and were i to be in this house for years, i probably wouldn't have used it, but i wanted something a.) low cost and b.) that i could put down directly over the old floor tile as it may or may not be of the asbestos variety. basically, i didn't want to blast the tile while putting down the carpet tack strips. also, my room is less than 12' wide, so i didnt have to mess with seaming the carpet. it was the perfect alignment of the stars for a first time do it yourself carpet job.

-tony