Basement Ceiling sound

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Domonic A, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Domonic A

Domonic A Stunt Coordinator

Domonic Ableidinger
    I have been a reader of this forum for some time tring to get some ideas. I am currently framing my basement and I have a couple of questions.

What should I do in the cieling? The cieling will be 8' with a 7' soffit for the duct work with I-beam construction. Is regular R-13 insulation fine to use or is their another recomendation. I know their is single faced and batt and several other options. What is the best way to install?

The basement home theater room is directly below the dining and family room upstairs, so I am tring to minimize sound from upstairs to downstairs. I have heard of some people using a double layer of drywall, are their alternatives?

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

I am looking for some info too. I recently bought a house and well set up all my stuff in the basement. 7ft drop ceilings and sound travels....need something for some improvement. I heard that R-13 is fine and just double layer it if possible.

3. Domonic A

Domonic Ableidinger
    I know their has also been some mention of using 1/2" draywall along with second layer of drywall or some other sound board. Any info on using a second layer of material?

Should the insulation I put in the ceiling be unfaced or kraft faced, does it matter? I do not know if one brand is better than the other but I was thinking of getting certainteed from Home Depot and have it delivered with the drywall. I think the Johns Manville from Menards may be better but I am not sure what makes one better than the other.

4. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

I looked at some stuff at home depot over the weekend but don't remember what it was. My only option is to use something like this in the ceiling. The thing is do I use 1 or 2 layers...

5. Domonic A

Domonic Ableidinger
    I was just talking with someone at Certainteed and they said to fill up the void air space as best as possible. Still searching for ideas.

6. Terry Montlick

Terry Montlick Stunt Coordinator

Fiberglass batts by themselves won't add much sound isolation.

You need something to help isolate the ceiling joists from conducting sound right through to the drywall. Resilient channel is a very effective low-cost way to add sound isolation. It's been used for this purpose for at least half a century. When installed correctly, it can add up to about 10 dB of sound isolation.

You have to very careful to seal ALL the ceiling seams and cracks with acoustical (non-hardening) caulk. Otherwise, sound will travel right through. I also recommend a second layer of drywall on the ceiling, with staggered seams.

Regards,
    Terry

7. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Terry,
    Most of my sound seems to travel thru the Vents.....

8. Terry Montlick

Terry Montlick Stunt Coordinator