"Baseball's Greatest Games" DVDs? Will MLB Produce More?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by David Von Pein, Feb 21, 2004.

1. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

[​IMG]

I'd like to get a few complete (or virtually uncut) baseball games on DVD.

I see where www.mlb.com offers a few DVDs, but the selection is small. The only "game" DVD I see is G.6 of the '86 Series (NYM/BOS). (Classy-looking packaging too.)

Was wondering if this series of DVDs might be expanded in the future. Anyone have a clue?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

If all of the major sports were smart they would not only jump onto the DVD bandwagon but be a driving force behind it!
    Taking it and releasing their greatest games as they were when they were broadcast but remastered.
    Who wouldn't want some of the greatest baseball or football games of all time?
    Who wouldn't want to see some of Michael Jordan's best games as a Bull?

Yep, if they embraced the DVD format and pioneered this aspect of it my bank account would likely be tapped!

3. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I noticed some of those DVDs on mlb.com a few months ago. I was hoping that MLB would release some of the World Series highlights videos on DVD at some point.

4. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i see that every game available has either the mets or the yankees in the game.

they should make games availale to fans of more then just those two teams.

5. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

You'll never see uncut baseball games marketed on DVD in terms of every pitch. It's not going to happen because then every release would have to be close to three hours and that opens up too many problems as it is. Editing games to a two hour format is SOP for repeats on ESPN Classic and elsewhere and that's the only kind of format one would see if it came to that someday (which I'm not about to hold my breath for).

6. Dave H

Dave H Producer

When I first started watching baseball in the mid 80's they would show World Series programs that were about 30 or so minutes long that would show highlights and give an oveview of each game in the series. For example, in the 1984 World Series, you would hear Sparky Anderson making comments in the dugout about his surprise that Goose Gossage was going to pitch to Kirk Gibson instead of walking him, etc. There were many other things that would be heard.

These World Series programs were quite good and usually shown during rain delays. I taped a few on VHS at the time. I would love to see all of these on DVD.

7. Bill J

Bill J Producer

Anyone have the 1986 WS Game 6 DVD? Amazon lists a running time of 60 minutes only, so maybe it's edited.

I also wouldn't mind seeing TWIB released on DVD.

8. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I wish more sports would do this, the NFL sort of started putting out some DVDs, they have a complete history of the Green Bay Packers DVD out and 1 for the Cowboys. I'm hoping they do this for other teams like my Raiders for instance, but some actual games would be cool. For run times of games longer than 3 hours, there is a lot they could eliminate to shave time off of that including obviously commercials, and we don't need to see every instance of a guy coming in from the bullpen, there is a lot you could cut out without really editing the game. It is rare that baseball games last that long though, in terms of real time, TV time happens that way all the time but in terms of actual action its harder to do, of course if you go in to extra innings then that's a different deal.

9. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

Well keep in mind that you will *never* see telecasts of vintage NFL games on TV, let alone DVD because of the intransigence of NFL Films.

For now the ideal way to amass a collection of vintage sports telecasts is to find the people who have them on VHS and trade for them. In my case, I've been fortunate to end up with nearly 1000 baseball telecasts going back to 1952, over 250 NFL telecasts going back to Super Bowl III, and every Indy 500 since 1977.

10. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

That run time has *got* to be incorrect.
    Just checked my VHS copy of that, and it runs 126 minutes. Surely, they haven't chopped it up by half for a *better*-quality DVD release. That's beyond silly. [​IMG]

I have all of the "Official" MLB World Series highlights films from 1950 to the present (with the last 3 years being on DVD). A lot of these are very interesting, esp. (IMO) the 1960s and early '70s films.

I've also collected all 7 of the MLB "Greatest Games" VHS videos. But, good heavens, let's face it...seven games is a drop in the bucket when you consider all the classic games there have been in MLB history.

I'd really love complete (or at least 'semi'-complete) games on DVD from the Reds' World Series' years of 1970, 1972, 1975, and 1976. Plus one of the best NLCS games ever -- G.5 in 1972 (Pitts./Cin.), with Johnny Bench slamming a game-tying homer in the ninth and the Reds winning the pennant when Hal McRae scores on a wild pitch by Bucs' reliever Bob Moose.

I've seen a nearly complete game broadcast of Game 1 of the 1970 Series (Balt. @ Cin.) on ESPN Classic, and loved it. Included were the player introductions by veteran Cincy PA man Paul Sommerkamp. Great for veteran Reds' fans. To have that game, and the '72 NLCS game, on DVD would be most welcome here.

11. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Caught a glimpse of this bonehead Amazon review re. the '86 WS Game 6 video.

This person seems to think that Buckner was the METS first sacker! [​IMG]

And, somehow, TWO misguided souls actually were "Helped" by this informative piece of written brilliance. [​IMG] ........

2 of 41 people found the following review helpful:

[​IMG] stupid first baseman, May 6, 1999
    Review:
    NY Mets first baseman is the most stupid fielder I have ever seen in my whole life.... --This text refers to the VHS Tape edition.

12. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I have the "100 Years of the World Series" DVD, which is a pretty nice 2-disc set. However, I don't like the way MLB has been putting its logo on the top right portion of the screen during the entire film. [​IMG] [​IMG]