"Baseball" - Ken Burns - DVD/stereo?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Kent, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Jason Kent

Jason Kent Extra

Jun 12, 2002
    The Burns' baseball is supposedly in 'stereo,' and should supposedly also give output to rear channels (as other 'stero' material does when amp in 'surround' mode) though not necessarily 'different' but rear seems to be completely silent.

Anyone familiar with this set and what should be expected?
  2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Jun 30, 1997
    Joseph DeMartino
    I'm not sure that I understand your question.

If the Burns set is pure, 2-channel stereo, as opposed to matrixed surround which is encoded in 2-channels on the disc and then decoded by your amp or receiver, then it should only play from the front two speakers in "surround" mode. The only way you're going to get sound from all three front and both rear speakers is if your amp or receiver has an "all speaker" mode that can be used for stereo. (My Denon has a "5-channel" stereo mode that I use when playing CDs at parties where guests are on their feet and circulating around the room.) In that case you're going to get sound from all five speakers because your sound system is artificially sending the signal to all of them. This process has absolutely nothing to do with the source material or how it is encoded. It will do the same thing with a vinyl LP, a CD, a cassette tape or a 2-channel DVD.

Obviously matrixed Dolby Surround is going to use all five speakers, but to a lesser degree than either a 5.1 mix or a "forced" 5-channel "stereo" mode.