Baseball Hall of Fame -- tougher to get a second chance

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Perry, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Well, no one was elected to the Hall today via the new veterans committee, which is made up of essentially all currently living HOF members. It seems as though there has been a complete shift--there were complaints that the former old-timers committee was too lenient, whereas now the current HOF'ers seem to be saying, "we're the real Hall of Famers and we're not going to elect any marginal players.

I applaud the current (tougher) mentality, and think there shouldn't even be a second chance committee, except for extreme circumstances. If a player can't get in in the 15 years of normal eligibility, he doesn't belong.

2. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

I agree. The HOF should be for the Great not the very good.

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

In that case, should there be a way to throw undeserving players out? [​IMG]

I think having the Veteran's Committee as a backup is good, simply because a system that gives the likes of Dan Shaugnessey a vote is inherently flawed. Also, as time goes on, we gain a new appreciation for different aspects of the game, and players previously considered "unworthy" may look better when reviewed with the new tools.

4. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

Jason,

I agree that the current voting system which gives so much power to sports writers (not exactly the smartest or most reasonable people around) is vastly flawed. I don't mind the Veteran's Committee as a concept and I think they might vote in a few people who deserve to get in (Goosage, Kaat, Blyleven) but I also think they vote for their friends for no good reason.

Barry Bonds is a first ballot HOF'er. How many sports writers do you think won't vote for him the first time around because of his relationship with the media?

Also the current standards towards HOF entry seem slanted toward hitters. I think its very hard for a borderline pitcher to get in right now and it isn't for hitters.