Baseball Game Choice - What's Yours?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoshF, Feb 24, 2003.

1. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

I'm a big fan of the High Heat series, and will be picking this one up no matter what. I love the pitcher-batter interface and lack of cursor. The gameplay seems natural and fun, like a baseball videogame should be.

However, with EA's retooling of their baseball game in MVP, then new All-Star with tons of features, as well as Sega showing up with WSB, I'm a bit perplexed.

So, trusty HTF'ers, what's your choice this year, and why?

2. GaryP

GaryP Second Unit

At this point I've yet to make up my mind, so I'm thinking rentals of all the aforementioned titles are in order for me, though I'm most looking forward to seeing what EA can come up with. The much maligned developer has actually churned out some decent titles this past year, including bringing the "Live" franchise back to respectability.

I was burned with the Dreamcast renditions of WSB so I'm a little leery when it comes to blind purchases of baseball titles lately. However, it appears 3D0 may have trumped them all, once again, in the gameplay department. How's that for a non-committal Josh? [​IMG]

Gary

3. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

FYI, the XBox version of HH2004 will have roster updates via Live.

I'm not a huge baseball fan, but have enjoyed many games in the past (Saturn WSB, High Heat 2001, and the original Genesis Triple Play). Without Online play in any of them though, they just aren't that appealing.

I may rent MVP to see what they've improved and to try the new pitching and throwing interface, but I'll probably skip them all this year.

4. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Hard to say. I loved All Star Baseball 2003 despite it's extreme difficulty(though eventually i got to the point where i was hitting realistic numbers, though there were some games were i couldn't buy a hit). However, I'm probably gonna check out any of them that have at least roster updates via Live. That to me is a must. MS is coming out with a game that has online head to head but I'm a bit leary of it as the quality of MS sports games leaves something to be desired. Tough choices indeed.

5. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

MS's previous attempts at Baseball were not very well received.

6. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Graeme,
    As I said, if Fever is any indicator, MS sports titles aren't gonna be the cream of the crop. Still though I'm willing to try out all of them assuming they have atleast roster updates via Live.

7. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

At this point High Heat, but that may change closer to it's release(xbox version). I would pick MVP, but I think the hitting system and ai will still be problematic, and ea can't do everything in a year. allstar and slugfest look the same to me as the previous years, adding in bells/whistles and other things. Whatever has the best gameplay and mechanics I will get,

8. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I'd like to see what MS does, but I did NOT like the football titles they released at all...

9. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

I was a shoe-in to get HH 2004 this year until I read about all the bugs popping up. I'll still probably pick it up, but I want to get some user feedback for the XBox version or PC version before I commmit.

MVP Baseball has the majority of my attention. I probably won't get it this year, but it's got some serious potential.

I won't even touch WSB if it's anything like last years game - personally, I was appauled at the "simulation" aspect of that game (ie. NEVER being able to score from second on a single to right center).

Ok, so to answer the question - HH 2004 (but I want to get some solid feedback first).

10. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I've read from quite a few people about a bug in High Heat. Apparently if the computer has runners on 2nd and 3rd with 2 out and hit a fly ball to the outfield the other team gets a run.

But I will be picking up World Series Baseball. I have yet to play one of Sega's baseball games, and I think now would be a perfect time to start.

11. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

High Heat 2001. Seriously. I haven't seen enough of an improvement/innovation in gameplay to upgrade. One interesting note is the continued evolution of rookies/free agents. Pretty neat.

12. RudyN

RudyN Supporting Actor

Rudy Nunez
    I'll be getting WSB2K3 and MVP for Xbox.

13. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Augh. For a while I was considering picking up an Xbox just for the roster updates, but then I realized that I never touch that stuff anyway. I'm a pick-up-and play baseball videogamer, if you will. I require good simulation, a great pitcher and batter interface, and none of that silly arcade stuff like fireballs coming off of bats.

I think I'm in for HH2004 on PS2.

14. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

15. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

The more I read about MVP Baseball the more I'm starting to like it. It might give WSB a run for its money (or my money).

16. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

I will be picking up MVP when I have the money. IMHO its time for a new baseball game. The system of aim and click just isn't doing it for me anymore.

17. Bruce Berti

Bruce Berti Stunt Coordinator

I'll probably buy whatever comes out first for the Xbox, which I believe will be ASB 2004. Tough to get excited about baseball though with 3 feet of snow on the ground and its 2 below zero out.

More info on Microsofts attempt at baseball.
    Here