Baseball - Daryl Kile found dead in hotel room

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

The St. Louis Cardinals suffered a 2nd setback this week (their legendary broadcaster, Jack Buck, passes away) as their pitcher Daryl Kile was found dead in his hotel room today after not reporting to the ballpark (Kile was usually one of the first players to show up at the ballpark on game days). Preliminary reports are that Kile passed away in his sleep due to natural causes. A medical inquest will be underway tomorrow. My condolences to the Kile family and the St. Louis Cardinals organization.

The commisioner of major league baseball, Bud Selig, cancelled the game at Wrigley field between the Cubs and the Cardinals after finding the news of Kile's sudden passing.

2. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Terribly sad...a good pitcher, and from all accounts, a good man.

He was only 33. His father died from a brain aneurysm at the age of 44.

3. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

Just saw this Patrick. Very sad. At least a (rare) nice decision by Selig to reschedule the game. I'm sure fans will appreciate this decision. Let's hope it was due to natural causes and not something like a drug overdose.

Chris

4. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Sad, sad news. I actually met Daryl Kile when I used to work at Veteran's Stadium. (About 5 years ago.) He was a great talent, and it's awful to see someone this young go so early.

I'm also curious to hear the cause of death, but even if it were drugs - that doesn't make it any less tragic in my eyes.

5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Tragic end of a solid ballplayer:
    Daryl Kile's Stats
    Check out the bottom of the page where they list his awards and good years!

6. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I'm going to bet it was heart arythmia or something natural like that, but there was one thing from the reports I found to be a bit odd. When they wanted to notify his wife, they had to get the cell phone number from another players wife (Dave Veres wife, Robin) because Mrs. Kile was in San Diego at the time. I find it a little odd that with the Cardinals on a road trip to Chicago, Mrs. Kile would be off on her own (not sure if she was with her kids or not) in San Diego. What's in San Diego? Is it normal for a wife to go on vacation without her husband during the season? Maybe I'm reading between the lines a little too much, but if he was having marital problems, maybe that had something to do with this, but I doubt it seeing as Cardinal management said his wife took the news extremely hard. Why she wasn't home back in St. Louis is anyone's guess.

7. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

What a trajedy. I was down in the basement painting and listening to the Red Sox game when the news broke. Shocking. I still have the ticket stub to the no-hitter he pitched against the Mets in Houston.

From all accounts, he was a great guy.

-greg

8. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Boy Evan, that's quite a conspiracy theory. From what I understand, the Kiles were planning to make San Diego their winter home and his wife was there to check on their recently purchased home. I think it will probably be due to a fluke medical abnormality like a brain aneurysm or something.

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

From what I've heard, his dad passed away in his 40's from a brain aneurysm, and perhaps it was passed on to Daryl as well.

Daryl had one of the nastiest overhand curveballs in major league baseball.

10. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

If it's natural, it's very tragic. I mean he was only 33!

11. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Hard to believe such a tough S.O.B. could be taken at such a young age. A shame, indeed. My sympathy to the family.

Bruce

12. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Man, talk about a reality check. He is only 5 years older than me. I couldn't even begin to fathom what it would be like to only have 5 years left in my life.

I was very shocked when I heard the news. I'm not a Cards fan, but am a baseball fan and as such, I knew who Kile was. When I heard the news I turned to my roommate and said "No way! He hasn't been in the league a decade! He can't be over 34!" How tragic that early death might run in his family (given his father's early passing from a brain aneurysm).

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

CNN just reported that the examiner found 80%-90% blockage of Kile's coronary arteries, and suffered from severe heart disease. On another note, a small amount of what appeared to be marijuana was reported to be found in his hotel room, but was not thought to be a contributing factor to his demise.

14. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

This was a great shock to me. As a life long Cardinals fan who grew up listening to games on the radio broadcast by Jack Buck, this has been a tough week. The passing of Daryl Kile is extra tough because he was so young. Please leave the conspiracy posts out of this because from all accounts, he was a great man both on and off the field. Rest in peace Daryl and Jack. You'll both be missed.

15. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

Heart disease at age 33. It makes me want to examine my diet.

16. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Geez, that is really tragic. He was so young too, make you wonder about your own health! He'll be missed that's for sure

17. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Since his dad died at 44, he probably had a predisposition to heart disease. I'm surprised the physicians didn't keep a closer eye on it, if that turns out to be the case. However, my dad died of a heart attack at 48 and my doctor seems none too concerned about the health of my heart even though I have two risk factors (genetic and extra weight) I think doctors tend to minimize the health risks for "younger" patients. Scary.

18. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

It's been a very rough week to be a St. Louisan and Cardinal fan. This city loves baseball; we are the best most knowledgeable fans in the league. A city of 2.5 million can easily draw more people to a game than cities 2 or 3 times larger. Players are happy to be traded here and will often take less money to stay.

We all knew that Jack Buck was on his last days. His passing away, while tough, was not unexpected. He often said that when he dies the first thing he would ask God was "Why have you been so good to me?".

Darryl Kile is different. He's a young man with three children 5 or under. To see a young father die; it's even tougher.

While we can think about baseball; out number one thought should be with the wife and children of Darryl Kile.

19. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

Thank You to the Cubs and citizens of Chicago. Your help though this tough time is greatly appreciated.

20. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

I must agree with Dave about the way the Chicago Cubs organization and fans have conducted themselves. The Cards-Cubs rivalry is an intense and long-running "feud," but they truly did put it all aside and act with the utmost respect. I hope we in St. Louis never need to return the favor.